Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can we Re-Build Civilisation after Collapse.
1 May 2014, 11:21, (This post was last modified: 1 May 2014, 11:28 by Scythe13.)
RE: Can we Re-Build Civilisation after Collapse.
(1 May 2014, 10:28)John Wrote: What is the Blaa, blaa that you close with?

That's just his signature mate. Same as mine is 2 quotes about patriotism and freedom.

We are the only civilisation in time (other than the great library of Alexandria) that has documented the development of our technology so thoroughly.

Providing a few reasonable libraries and publications survive, the ability to rebuild should be pretty quick.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
3 May 2014, 21:15,
(1 May 2014, 10:28)John Wrote: What we are discussing is the demise of civilisation or at least a very major part of it. Which is what, at least partly, prepping is about.
We are also talking about losing all our current technology which is very much if not completely reliant on electricity. We are not concerned with the reason for that demise and we not considering the demise of just the ‘local arena’.
Yes civilisation existed long before the technology of today but it will not exist without that technology in the future. We have become too reliant on that technology.
Some sort of what you call civilisation may continue after a collapse but it will be nothing like it is now or in all probability like it was in the recent past.
What is the Blaa, blaa that you close with?
I assume that you don’t accept any of what was what said and feel that we are all really just wasting our time prepping.
The one main thing of this debate was can we re-build civilisation after collapse. For that we assume that civilisation will collapse at some point in the future by some cause.
May be you would care to enlighten on your post.

Enlightenment???

No,

That takes a very long time and no one ever understands. It winds up turning into the "Religion of the Prepper" which breaks up into long term and short term denominations, each with their own doctrine and claims on possession of the true path to survival.

The blaa, blaa, blaa, I close with is ...well that was done as an attempt to say something without insulting anyone, but I now see that is impossible.

As for your assumption that I feel prepping is a waste of time...You are assuming when you should not. In fact, I have already eaten all the first load of supplies I bought that had a 30 year shelf life. They were going past the expiration dates. (I do not buy 30 year shelf life any more due to my acceptance that I do not have 30 years left)

But in addition to the standard fare of a prepper, I also have an extensive library of classical, historical and technological literature.

Just doing my part to insure that civilization never dies, even if it is maintained by candle light until the water starts flowing downhill again so the local hydroelectric plant can come back on line.
4 May 2014, 09:17,
I think the question is not can we rebuild civilisation but do we WANT to? certainly in its current form.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
4 May 2014, 10:21,
Obviously a lot of people do BP, otherwise the topic wouldn't pop up time & time again
4 May 2014, 10:34,
it will happen organically when and IF the time is right, not cos someone wants it to. it always surprises me (it shouldn't anymore) that when this subject is raised, everyone seem to want EXACTLY what went before and my question is WHY?? why cant we start again and have something different(than what went before)??
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
4 May 2014, 10:51,
Maybe because not many people like change. I certainly am not keen on the idea where the flu will more likely kill me than just make me feel like I'm dying for a week or so (speaking from experience). I like the idea that I can exchange 40 hours a week of my time for pretty much most of the things I need to survive. Trading 40 hours is a lot more desirable (to me) than working hard pretty much every waking moment.

Yeah we have some bad things, but id rather have trivial things like corrupt mp's than worrying about fighting every minute of every day to survive. Obviously I prep (on a small scale) to try & help incase anything bad happens, but I'm pretty happy with the way my life is right now & I would love it to continue as long as possible. Yes I love sitting watching Saturday night tv, while eating shit food delivered from the local pizza/kebab shop & checking Facebook.

Just my opinion, each to their own
4 May 2014, 10:55,
you think corrupt MP's are a TRIVIAL matter?? I'd rather be in control of my own destiny(live or die) than put it in the hands of those cretins....which is exactly what is happening to the majority of the population now.
4 May 2014, 11:01,
More trivial than say trying to survive cancer with no medication & no guarantee of food or water. I stand by what I said
4 May 2014, 11:13,
and so do ITongue
4 May 2014, 11:26,
Got to take some bad with the good we get mate.