Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Interfacing Telephone Network with UV5R
29 April 2014, 21:56,
Interfacing Telephone Network with UV5R
I had this crazy idea. Someone tell me I'm wrong please.

This idea came about when looking at some videos for UV5R repeaters, essentially back-to-back UV5R's.

Now If I had a smart phone/Sips phone with autoanswer set, take the headphone output from the phone and plug it into the UV5R which is set to VOX.

Am I being really silly?
30 April 2014, 13:23,
RE: Interfacing Telephone Network with UV5R
Yes, that would transmit your incoming phone message through the UV5r
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

30 April 2014, 17:11,
LS < RS

Mmmmmm thats the point. Can we do the reverse leg as well?
1 May 2014, 11:07,
Yes but you will have to initiate the call from the phone first. i use a similar system to transmit/recieve/decode data signals but it should work easily as well with voice.
73 de
OSR

The duty of a true patriot is to protect his country from its government ~ Thomas Paine
1 May 2014, 12:43,
My fault - I didn't pose the question properly.

Assume..

1. Phone system with headphone/mic jacks

2. Phone system set to auto-answer

3. Connected by cable to UV5R

4. UV5R set to VOX on an appropriate frequency.

Scenario 1
Incoming call to phone / Phone answers and vox starts on UV5R / We certainly need a Roger or Over.
Voice comes from the phone into the UV5R and over the airwaves.
Voice coming back from the UV5R into the Phone (How ???)

Scenario 2 (I'm thinking out Loud on this one)
Distant Radio/Uvr5 transmits on a monitored freq
and sends a DTMF Combo
Phone Goes 'off hook' ready to receive further DTMF instructions for call.

The purpose for this experiment is to see whether its possible to connect the UV5R onto the
wider phone network.

Allons-y
2 May 2014, 10:11,
The mobile phone system is full duplex ( meaning it can play a received message at the same time as it transmits) This id the main difference between telephones and radios, which are simplex ( meaning they only play received messages or transmit, transmit or receive, not both at the same time)

We've decided that the message received from the mobile phone will transmit via the Repeater UV5R using VOX to open and close transmit function .
This will re-transmit the telephone message in real time from the UV5R to a remote receiving radio.

If the remote receiving radio transmits back to the Repeater UV5R, the Repeater UV5R will output that reply over its loudspeaker. If the audio signal from the loudspeaker on the Repeater UV5R is connected to the mike in on the mobile phone, the reply received from the remote receiving radio will be transmitted by the mobile phone.

In effect the mobile phone will then be operating in a simplex mode. You are correct in assuming that "over" will be a good way to identify when its the correspondent party's turn to speak.

In this scenario, the call will only be able to be initiated and terminated by the person calling the mobile phone.
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580