Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Use of PED WTSHTF and Afterwards
10 May 2014, 07:12,
Use of PED WTSHTF and Afterwards
Please note this is about PED (Performance Enhancing Drugs) and not recreational. The difference is huge, and if you want to talk about recreational drugs start another thread.

We are conditioned to say believe that all performance enhancing drugs are bad. Our whole lives we are told this, and frequently it is taken as fact, but often based on very little (if any) truth or testing.

Well, I'm here to pose a question for you all now.

Is it morally wrong, or unethical, to use PED WTSHTF or post SHTF?

To get that physical or mental edge (even chess champions have been known to use PEDs.....if you're thinking only steroids are PEDs, then you should probably not comment on this haha), to stay awake longer when on lookout, to enhance your senses, or any number of other 'benefits' of PEDs...is it wrong?

Please note, MANY (I'd say at least 50%) of the purposes for PEDs have zero side effects. Obviously there are many that do have side effect, but for the different uses of them, about 50% of the uses involve zero side effect drugs.

So...right or wrong? What's your view?
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
10 May 2014, 08:38,
RE: Use of PED WTSHTF and Afterwards
NO THANKS!!
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
10 May 2014, 09:03, (This post was last modified: 10 May 2014, 09:10 by TOF.)
I think it's an entirely personal decision and there is no right or wrong answer.
Personally I wouldn't but that is purely because of my physical state and age, I don't think my body would cope well with any stimulant in quantity.
There is also the possibilty, not necessarily of addiction, but of becoming reliant mentally on these PEDs. You might come to believe you cannot achieve X without the aid of of the drug of choice.
Leading on from that, long term use of anything, especially in stressful situations or when your body changes through lack of nutrition will eventually have a detrimental effect regardless of how safe it is to use normally.
If you are using PEDs to effect an enhanced physical state, you will have no idea where your genuine physical boundaries are and what you could actually do given those circumstances without enhancement.
Finally there will come a time when they are no longer available.
But that's just my opinion.

Re: point 3 due to the circumstances you might find yourself in, your mental state may not be 'normal' ie; not what it is at the moment.

Sailing away, not close to the wind.Heart
10 May 2014, 10:23,
Very interesting point you hit there TOF. WTSHTF, our mental and emotional states will be heavily effected, so use of certain PEDs should be even more carefully considered, e.g. those that get you slightly more emotionally charged. Very good point. I know there are many that would be fine in regard to emotional and mental changes, but I also recognise that a few others would probably be a bad idea. I hadn't thought of that. Thanks TOF. I'd always considered things from a normal-life stand point.

With knowing where your genuine physical boundaries are, I would have to disagree on that point though. From personal knowledge, I have always known my limits, and when coming off a cycle (we'll use steds for this example), I knew my strength wouldn't be as much and I'd be much more cautious. But that could just be a result of my personal over researching and interviewing before taking them in the first place haha.
10 May 2014, 10:28,
From my point of view what a person does to their own body is no one's concern. I look at it this way, if someone can force you, control you enough to be the one who makes decisions what you can or can't do to your own body, then you are a slave.
10 May 2014, 10:28,
I have never used PED's and I never will although I have used a couple of the #ahem# other kinds in the past, however POST SHTF I wont be using anything that might interfere with me being " compis mentis" as it were, I need my faculties to be clear and functioning, so I will also be ruling out tobacco and booze also.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
10 May 2014, 11:11,
I wouldn't know where to start with most PEDs, and any attempt to use them post-SHTF would not go well on my part. That said, I can see the use of caffeine crystals (like what soldiers sometimes use in theater) if you have to stay awake for a long time in the first few days.
Woe to those who add house to house and join field to field, Until there is no more room, So that you have to live alone in the midst of the land!
Isaiah 5:8
10 May 2014, 11:12, (This post was last modified: 10 May 2014, 11:14 by Scythe13.)
The thing is BP, many PEDs can improve your faculties. Which is what I'm on about.

I do see MANY PEDs to have a huge advantage to live post SHTF.

Tibbs, that's an awesome point and a rational route to go down. Same as the view I took, if I don't know, don't experiment. Find people that do know and learn from them. That was my view.
10 May 2014, 11:21,
all drugs have side effects whether legal or illegal. where they might enhance performance for a while I'm sure there will be a down side...there always is.
10 May 2014, 11:32,
(10 May 2014, 11:21)bigpaul Wrote: all drugs have side effects whether legal or illegal. where they might enhance performance for a while I'm sure there will be a down side...there always is.

Paracetamol, Asprin, Calpol, Grip Water, Desmopressin, HCG, Proviron, all have little to no side effects. The list is actually huge!!!