Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
power cuts 2015
13 May 2014, 21:16,
power cuts 2015
the power companies started to warn us about this 1/2 years ago , we are now only 6 months away from 2015 [mid winter] .
what are you doing about this, if it starts things like candles , lamps , log burners prices will go through the roof[if you can even get them].
so how are you preppeing for this.
Survive the jive (youtube )
14 May 2014, 12:32,
RE: power cuts 2015
Personally, we're getting a log burner sorted, as well as a couple of other things. Solar panels is a large part of this, and converting to 12volt systems.

One of the funniest ones I've thought of, but is really financially viable for most people, is the idea of night time lighting systems. You can get solar christmas lights that are super efficient. The idea is to charge them in the day, then let them turn on in the night when the solar panel stops charging the powersource. We had out tree fully decorated all round with solar lights and our electricity bill was the same as normal. So we'll just put them on 'solid' and they'll bust out some good lighting.

The rest will be normal solar powered gear, and maybe a generator...if we can get one quiet enough.

As for candles and the alike, we have around 1000 tealights stored away, as well as another 400 8hour tealights.

We have a very low power useage as a family anyway, so the fear of everything shutting down isn't that high for us. Maybe get in extra gas to cook on, but again, we don't really cook too often. We'll just crack open the BBQ and have winter cook-ups.

Main concern is staying warm. Hopefully it'll be mild down here again....but the truth is I would love a hefty month of beasting snow! Get out on my snowboard instead of having to pay to go to those snowdomes and places like that.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
14 May 2014, 15:52,
the problem with the solar powered lights is that there isn't enough sunlight to properly charge them in winter,

you'll get a few hours at most from a winter day charge (up here anyways!)

cooking would be fine for me too, heating the house could be an issue,

the gas supply would be still going strong i reckon, i'd just need to power my boiler somehow, possibly stick it on an inverter and battery bank.

candles for light and camping cookers + bbq should see me ok
in some cases, those with the least to say, say the most.....
14 May 2014, 16:34,
We have set up an IBC cage to be used as a log store with a waxed canvas tarp. The previous owners used a boat load of no more nails to cover the chimney so getting rid of that will be our next move to install a wood burner. We also have a lot of blankets here but could use more candles.
It's not the end of the world, but you can see it from here

14 May 2014, 16:47,
(14 May 2014, 15:52)Binnie Wrote: the problem with the solar powered lights is that there isn't enough sunlight to properly charge them in winter,

you'll get a few hours at most from a winter day charge (up here anyways!)

I thought that too mate, so left the lights on over night. But nope, I was wrong. The stupid things kept blinking all night long. Left them on 'solid' hoping they would run out quickly. Wrong again. Maybe we got a lucky couple of sets of lights? But these things just kept going and going, and that's in mid winter daylight.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
14 May 2014, 16:54,
Yes the solar lights these days have come leaps and bounds, I have some of these in the garden and they are bloody fantastic, so bright even after a charge on an over cast winter day:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00CY...UTF8&psc=1
14 May 2014, 17:26,
hells teeth, I have been talking about this for at least 2 years, and they only start warning people now......6months notice?? we've been ready for the last 18 months.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
14 May 2014, 17:59,
i dont think the power will just go off the power companys will make some sort of rota we will be warned that cuts are likely and each area will take its turn.
they are sure to keep the lights on for industury and london , rural fokes will catch it most me thinks.

just think if told it was your area tonight , bit of a que at tescos i bet.
Survive the jive (youtube )
14 May 2014, 18:03,
if the power went off, the tills wont work, so NO no queues at Tesco's, they'd just refuse to sell you anything and lock the doors.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
14 May 2014, 18:14,
Been ready for ages.....woodburners ...three...hot water, plenty heating plenty,oil lamps,candles,generators , fuel. No solar yet though....as BP points out a lot of us have been ready for a while now but if your a newbie don,t worry get stuck in.........wood burner is your first port of call ......and a stock of dry timber at the ready.