Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
farmers ... friend or foe.
15 May 2014, 19:53,
RE: farmers ... friend or foe.
Really didn't think it needed any explanation, as SS says its a no brainer, but here's my thoughts:

No - Why on earth would a farmer let you live on his land, turn up and wreck his fields, leave litter around etc etc. Let one in the hoards will follow!

No - Same as above. And if you are hunting wild animals, who's to say that wouldn't include his livestock.

No - Same as above.

No - Again, would anyone allow refugees kill their livestock, farmer or not???

As you say farmers band together, are well connected, well equipped, know the land like the back of their hands, are well armed, have invested everything they have into their farms, so no they are not going to just give it all up. They are not charities, they are in it to make a profit, normal times or PSHTF.
15 May 2014, 20:38,
I know that one in particular will let me hunt in exchange for eggs. That's our current deal. We joke about a zombie apocalypse and he says if it happens, I have a full time job in exchange for board and eggs. Zombie killing and rat killing haha.

Even though that is said in jest, he is about 80% prepper and we have already spoken about working in a team on the farm, his family and mine.

Unless you have a strong relationship already, don't even try it. You'll get blown away by a 12 gauge, for sure.

As for the city folk thing, no they won't let it, but it could well be one of those things they cannot stop. If 300 people moved onto your land, that's a hell of a lot of enemies to make. Plus the farmer would have a hell of a time taking them all out. The same goes for city folk killing their livestock. If 'the horde' decide they're moving in, it'll be difficult to stop them.

Not everyone will be scared off, and there will be some that will come back and cause major problems for the farmer.

People will frequently take the view, if I can't have it, nobody can have it. That will see cattle being torched and the alike. Sick and screwed up, but that's what people will do.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
15 May 2014, 23:15,
"Coming back to do major damage" is an urban ploy, not rural. It might be tried by the townies once, but only once!

After a farmer has warned you once you return at your own peril, especially when ROL is lax or has ended.

He will fire you up and bury you in a ditch somewhere on the back side of the place.
16 May 2014, 00:36,
(15 May 2014, 23:15)Mortblanc Wrote: He will fire you up and bury you in a ditch somewhere on the back side of the place.

Yep.

Or lose the bodies in the silage tanks, or feed them to the pigs, or .......
16 May 2014, 07:12,
(15 May 2014, 19:32)Sunna Wrote: th , thanks.

ss, yes it is a no brainer the reason i put it that way is that so many on this site seem to think they will nip into the countryside to bugg out , hunt and live on somebody elses land no problem.
they wont face facts , theirs nowhere to bugg out to , except farmers land.

Only the most naive people think they can "nip into the countryside" and survive there. I think everyone on this site has a more realistic view, that living rough is the absolute last resort.
16 May 2014, 09:31,
When things get really bad, we're popping into an area that we know to be 'public land' so full access is available. We'll be on the border of a field line, based in the public area though. So it's pretty much a field haha.

I know the farmer well and he allows me to set up a camp there and to shoot rabbits. So if he sees me and the wife up there, he'll be fine with is, as he is cool with it now anyway. If he sees us over there, he'll pop over and say hi. Maybe even be a little curious why I'm on the other side of the shrubs though haha.

As for full term survival in the countryside...it's doable, but nowhere near as comfortable as being at home.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
16 May 2014, 12:56,
no, no, no and no......simples !!
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
16 May 2014, 13:39,
Farmers are a close knit bunch of folk, who really practice the ultimate form of prepping, that of being self sufficient. They also tend to be somewhat "outside" of normal society, as very few City dwellers will ever meet one, or even understand the world he comes from. In any serious breakdown they will band together quite quickly in their local area, and are the best placed to utilise these resources because they have all the machinery, tools and know how. A good thing to remember is that while a small percentage of the city population have firearms, 100% of farmers do!!
Shoot
Shut up
Shovel
16 May 2014, 16:15,
(16 May 2014, 13:39)Tartar Horde Wrote: Shoot
Shut up
Shovel

We refer to that as the 3-S rule and it is always affixed to the end of the rule of 3s.
16 May 2014, 22:20,
After TSHTF farming will be very different. The 100 acres that Joe Farmer currently ploughs and seeds will become impossible for him to manage with no diesel. If he wants to trade produce he will need manual labour, and if that means allowing people to live on his land then he will do so. He will have to make sure his workforce is strong, so hunting and a share of the crops will be given as pay. It's been done like this before.