Poll: What would you most want to learn about?
This poll is closed.
Air Rifle + shooting
0%
0 0%
Bows + Crosbows + Slingshots
57.14%
4 57.14%
Stalking
14.29%
1 14.29%
Tracking
28.57%
2 28.57%
Concealment
0%
0 0%
Observation
0%
0 0%
Total 7 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hunting Meet
17 May 2014, 18:04,
RE: Hunting Meet
It's not a huge amount of effort. The real effort is from the members that come over to Dartmoor from places like London. MCavity has not missed a single one and he travels for hours to get there.

Next meet will be a social near/in the New Forest. It'll be a proper camping site though, as the New Forest has very strict laws. The relocation is to make things easier for some of the other members and their travel times.

Might to a bit then about hunting. Can't do skinning and butchering, as the wife will be there, and she's a veggie.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
21 May 2014, 14:42,
It looks like this is going to happen. Need to sort out a time, date, and place. But it should be happening.

If you've come to one of the previous meets and ended up being given a mini Bear-Trap style device...feel free to bring it along.
26 May 2014, 21:58,
When hou thinking mate ?

Bd
26 May 2014, 22:36, (This post was last modified: 26 May 2014, 22:38 by Scythe13.)
Not sure. I'm thinking much later in the year. Maybe around autumn. Try and get a great permission on a site. See if we can bag a rabbit or 2, pheasant, squirrel, pigeon, etc, and then finish off with a big cook up in the evening. Would love to make it a super long event, like a 4 day event. But it all depends on what's doable and timetables.

So maybe an introduction to hunting, covering things like how to glass an area, weapon etiquette, concealment, shooting, skinning, cooking, and that kind of thing. I'll bring some surgical gloves, because the wife goes mental when I can't get the smell of meat off my hands. I didn't have a set of gloves last meet, and so I didn't dare skin a rabbit. Really ruined the stuff I was planning to teach. Felt like I let the guys down.
30 May 2014, 17:36, (This post was last modified: 30 May 2014, 21:50 by Scythe13.)
Scythe, I am interested in coming to this meet. As a newbie, what kind of kit should I bring (apart from the obvious camping stuff)?

Cheers.
30 May 2014, 22:02,
Hi Raz.

It'll be a really simple one to start off with.

Got to set up an itinerary, but it'll probably be along the lines of tracking, a little on concealment, animal behaviour, killing, gutting, skinning, butchering, and cooking. I'll do a bit on catapults and sling bows, as I have experience with catapults and always wanted to have fun with a sling bow, great place to try things out I guess. Speaking of which there's a brilliant new pigeon breast burger recipe I want to try out. So you guys will get some top notch munch. But it'll be focused on rabbits because they're easier to start with. I'll also go over some passive hunting, e.g. trapping, and maybe some shooting based things.

With projectiles, I will need to get a location that is okay with a little bit of shooting. Maybe the Welsh location I was at with SD, I-K-E, and Hrusai. Brilliant location, but not much in the ways of wildlife.Will have to pop down there by myself earlier on and have a check if there are any signs of animals. Need to get a location that will allow hunting, as well as archery, and camp fires.

Stuff to bring...just camping gear and any trapping gear or hunting gear you want to learn about or try out. Unless it's a monster bear trap thing like MCavity had on one of the Dartmoor meets. That thing was a beast and I honestly thought "This is going to be my wrist smashed into little pieces!" Thankfully...no killer incident!

So just basic camping gear, any bug out gear you want to test, and any hunting gear you have or want to test. Please note, it could well be weather dependent. If it is, it'll be bug out practice. Probably around Autumn, because it'll be open season, and anything that flies or swims, or walks on 4 legs that's not called Mr Fluffy, is open game! Duck, pigeon, rabbit, pheasant, hares, the list goes on.
3 June 2014, 19:46,
Thanks for that mate. I'm liking the sound of it, keep us posted!

Cheers Big Grin