Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Personal Protection
17 May 2014, 10:21,
RE: Personal Protection
I think ppe is a personal thing.....tis my pet hate....I ride my motorcycle on occasion in hot weather wearing just jean's a t/shirt lightweight summer gloves , sunglasses , open face helmet and trainers........the ppe Nazi's go into apoplexies....I just ride accordingly(slower,bigger gaps and gentler) I think the same applies here , minimise all your risks , be your own keeper , ppe can severely hinder your movement/enjoyment sturdy clothing is a good idea but beyond that then I don't feel the need for general purpose ppe...specific ppe yes...climbing then a harness gloves and a helmet would be a good idea , clearing/searching a building ... body armour, helmet,visor/goggles and gloves would be good etc
Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool!!!!
17 May 2014, 11:06,
(17 May 2014, 09:37)bigpaul Wrote: a lot of it depends on what work you are doing, if your using a chainsaw or other types of equipment it makes sense to wear some form of safety equipment, but for lots of work this simply isn't needed and would hamper or impede your work if you wore it.

(17 May 2014, 10:21)Midnitemo Wrote: I think ppe is a personal thing.....tis my pet hate....I ride my motorcycle on occasion in hot weather wearing just jean's a t/shirt lightweight summer gloves , sunglasses , open face helmet and trainers........the ppe Nazi's go into apoplexies....I just ride accordingly(slower,bigger gaps and gentler) I think the same applies here , minimise all your risks , be your own keeper , ppe can severely hinder your movement/enjoyment sturdy clothing is a good idea but beyond that then I don't feel the need for general purpose ppe...specific ppe yes...climbing then a harness gloves and a helmet would be a good idea , clearing/searching a building ... body armour, helmet,visor/goggles and gloves would be good etc

Yes I totally agree about the restricted movement etc and what I am actually looking for are items, such as the trousers posted by CH which can simply be used and worn as everyday wear, whilst offering superior protection over what may be your normal choice of trousers.

I think that this is important, as in a post SHTF world any kind of cuts and scratches could easily get infected and/or seriously affect your ability to freely and quickly move about.

Sharp edges (broken glass; barbed wire; corrugated steel; defences etc) will be everywhere and most clothes are not designed to withstand that sort of abuse, for example when going to work a couple of weeks ago, I caught my jeans on the edge of the metal of the barrel bolt of my gate, I instantly had a 4 inch tear in the denim, luckily no injury as the jeans were loose fitting, but it could easily have sliced my leg open.

And as per the first post for any Lone Wolf's, this is important as you cannot afford to be laid up, not replenishing your supplies etc.

Another example being the glasses that I posted, and those posted by Steve, both of which are very similar to may sun glasses in appearance, but both offer much greater protection without looking out of place. The ones I posted are also available with tinted lens, they also have a foam backing for comfort/close fitting which also stops dust and debris getting in behind the glasses.

So not looking to go all tactical or add unnecessary extra layers/equipment, but more a case of selecting appropriate clothing that already has better in-built protection.
17 May 2014, 11:14,
I have not gone into serious work gear due to limited use and limited funds, I do have a SWAT type helmet and a couple of pairs of motorcycle goggles and a heavy weight motorcycle leather jacket, other than that I have bought a 10 pack of good quality work gloves and will be adding to this stock as and when I see more for sale(work gloves should be worn at all times as even getting a wood splinter in your hand or leg could in theory go septic).
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
17 May 2014, 11:21,
The Motorcycle Jacket would be excellent offering good protection and never really looking out of place - unless you have weather like today!
17 May 2014, 11:29,
good protection, also keeps you warm and reasonably dry, also any "straights" seeing a leather jacket would run away in the other direction when they see me coming.Big Grin
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
17 May 2014, 11:35,
steel toe safety trainers, iv had plenty of these over the years now days quite styleish , lighter than a workboot , just right for the summer months.
Survive the jive (youtube )
17 May 2014, 11:45,
If you do go for safety trainers, I would highly recommend going for the ones with the new composite toe caps, rather than the steel toes caps.
17 May 2014, 14:59,
These are the risk factors your PPE might address:

Disaster Risk Factors:

Tool / equipment hazards, risk of hand, eye, head injuries, electric shock, chemical burns
Human factors, stress / fatigue
Structural instability
Trauma risk, falls, building collapse potential
Terrain, loose rock, fallen limbs, wet or insecure footing, risk of falls, puncture wounds and lacerations from debris.

Sources of Disaster Contamination:

Stagnant surface water
Mosquito breeding
Contaminated flood waters
Sewage treatment system overflow
Petroleum, industrial, agricultural chemical contamination
Airborne contaminant plumes
Smoke, dust, toxic gases
(Worst case) radioactive fallout

73 de KE4SKY
In
"Almost Heaven" West Virginia
USA
17 May 2014, 17:25,
Besides being a professor I have also owned and worked farms for most of my life. I have developed a set of gear based mostly on what I have been through working the farm, handling livestock, remodeling buildings, hunting, camping, hobby work and just getting by.

I wear eye glasses. For three decades I have insisted that my eyewear be make to safety glasses specs due to the assortment of hobbies I pursue that involve hot metal, springs launched into the air and occasional flash and boom incidents.

In that past decade I have also adopted the constant wearing of leather gloves modified to my needs by cutting out the thumb and index fingers but retaining protection for the rest of the hand. They are constantly used for all outdoor activities. I keep three of four sets in each vehicle, and they are scattered around on the door-side tables for pick up as I walk out the door.

I am also bald as a door-knob. This mandates that I wear some kind of hat or cap just to protect my exposed scalp from laceration, scuffing or sunburn. I wear a hat to walk to the post box and often realize that I am wearing it as is sit here at the computer after returning indoors. In fact, I have a rack of hats which I view not as a fashion statement, but as protective gear.

I also have OSHA approved construction helmets and steel toed boots, neither of which I use very often. I have fiberglass knee pads that I have grown very appreciative of in the past few years. I use them for construction and gardening but I would have given a hundred pounds to have had some while I was in the Army. Patrolling is hell on the knees.

I have a couple of gas masks too but we will not go there.

I do not go for the super heavy duty pants made from waxed burlap or some other nonsense just due to the chafing issues they present, good quality jeans will do fine, but I do like the Carhart treated canvas jackets due to their warmth and waterproof capabilities.

And with the southern US summer upon me I find that all this personal protection will do me no good if I die of heat stroke while wearing it. Cut off jeans, tee shirt, sneakers and baseball cap are about the limit with the temps at 35c.
17 May 2014, 18:16,
Very surprised nobody has mentioned BladeRunner Clothing yet.

Slash proof hoodie or jumper, both are lovely. I need a new hoodie. The current one is cream-crackered! Might just reline the outside with new material though.

OOOW, I'm thinking a little real-tree camo would be good!
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin