Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Getting to Know your Community
17 May 2014, 21:20,
Getting to Know your Community
Not all of us are planning to up sticks and vanish into the mists post SHTF, and as I intend to stay put and hunker down in my own home, I decided it might be quite a good idea to do a little study of the little community in our Lane. You never know, there might be some little gems hidden there in one of the houses, but it would also be quite a good idea to locate potential troublemakers.

Well, one of the families down here is at least making a go of things. I suspect money is a bit tight, but they are realistic and are trying to establish a veggie garden and chicken run. Bronze star for trying there.

We have a real countryman down the lane. He has worked in agriculture for most of his life and has a very good grasp of how country things work. He's calm and steady and resourceful. I have him marked down as a good'un - he's already a helpful neighbour and I think he would be pretty good in difficult circumstances.

We have a couple of families that I would call "chancers"; sailing fairly close to the wind in most circumstances; living on benefits and probably with a couple of brain cells between them. Absolutely wizzard at finding scrap metal, but I doubt if they would be able to look after themselves for long - definitely on my "miss" list.

We also have the archetypal "squire". Lives in a very nice house, but does not actually do anything in it. Know the type - has people to do things for him. I doubt if he could tell a weed from a cabbage, bless him, he's going to be absolutely useless.

I can see there may be troubles ahead. I suspect that some of the folks down here will panic as soon as their iphones go blank and they can't watch "Strictly". I may need to dig a moat!
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
18 May 2014, 05:58,
RE: Getting to Know your Community
Come to think of it, in a bug-in situation, it's going to be vital to know not only your own capabilities but those of the people who are around you. While I'm aware that this is something that needs doing, it's also something I haven't yet got around to!

Priority project for the next few months...

18 May 2014, 12:51,
I have no interest in getting to know my neighbours, they don't keep much food in the house, apart from maybe 3 none of them are gardeners, most of the gardens are kids playgrounds, and they wouldn't know how to survive when there is no supermarket. come SHTF they'll all be dead within a month so whats the point.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
18 May 2014, 14:51,
im 50 and most in my village are over 60/5 many needing meds and nurse visits.
theirs a few who work for farmers and the farmers themselves, the farmers joined together in 07/8 during the floods when we were cut off for a short while and had no warter for many weeks they drove into the local town a got loads of bottled water for everybody.
they checked on some older folk and generaly took control .
if tshtf i think things would be the same ,look after but take control they all have shotguns and do phesent hunts and badger and fox killing all the time im not 100% sure how that would work out over time .
many in the village are not country types just folk fleeing the bigger citys these folk like 4x4 wax jackets even have a chicken or 2 but are not counrty smart the same as me.
getting to know them is hard their are 2 lots council and private and the 2 dont mix.
Survive the jive (youtube )
18 May 2014, 16:03,
One brilliant way to get to know people is to have a Christmas Party, then watch how the different people interact. Alternatively, invite them over, meet them at the pub, go out with them on days out, walk the dogs together, meet at the gym, run together, work together, etc.

You could always do the old trick of asking for a cup of sugar...as long as you don't live too close to a local shop that is.

If you don't know the people that live around you, and you plan on bugging in...you're in trouble.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
18 May 2014, 17:04,
not necessarily , it depends on the level of die off-which in a societal collapse could be quite large, I see no point in inter acting with people who could be dead in a month or 6 weeks after TSHTF.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
18 May 2014, 17:22,
I'd think knowing who was around you and a basic appreciation of there mindset , demeanour and capabilities would be worth knowing....its made me sit up and pay attention....my next door neighbour is early retired a keen cyclist(fit)and a bit of a lad in his youth and quite handy in a scrap, I'd never really thought much about it til today but on reflection he's not a man to take lightly.
Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool!!!!
18 May 2014, 17:29, (This post was last modified: 18 May 2014, 17:32 by bigpaul.)
I know WHO and WHAT is living in my area and what they are capable of, that's the very reason I want nothing to do with them !!Big GrinBig GrinBig Grin

the realisation that they haven't got the simplest idea about having supplies and knowing how to look after themselves in an emergency, but expect the state to provide their every want, is another!!
18 May 2014, 17:41,
(18 May 2014, 17:29)bigpaul Wrote: I know WHO and WHAT is living in my area and what they are capable of, that's the very reason I want nothing to do with them !!Big GrinBig GrinBig Grin

the realisation that they haven't got the simplest idea about having supplies and knowing how to look after themselves in an emergency, but expect the state to provide their every want, is another!!

What if they're secret preppers and their opsec is awesome? Suddenly things could change drastically, and not in your favour. Some of my neighbours know that I hunt. They know I like to shoot game and I usually offer it around if anyone wants any. I usually skin it, but the wife goes mental if my hands smell of rabbit guts, so I can only gut and skin it if I have rubber gloves on. For all you know, one of the local buggers you live by could be a keep hunter, using trapping to get extra food for the pot. While also being a valuable resource, that person could be a real danger WTSHTF.

Even if you do not plan to interact with them, it's best to get to know them properly. They may only survive a month or 2, but in that month they could cause real problems.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
18 May 2014, 17:49,
there is only one person in the whole place of any use and that's an 80 year old retired farm worker, the rest are all either on benefits or commuting to work in Exeter types, there isn't a single country person amongst them, the thought of any of them being useful is just laughable, mind you if I could get friendly with a few of the local farmers that might be a different kettle of fish....but the town dwellers? pah!!