Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is Population increase in your area possible?
19 May 2014, 16:56,
RE: Is Population increase in your area possible?
in 1940 the population was 48 million, in 2014 it is just over 63 million, an increase of over 15 million people in 74 years, they all have to have somewhere to live, not easy with the housing stock we have at present, which is why some boroughs(especially in London) have waiting lists which amount to a wait of decades, that's without any kind of event of sitX happening.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
19 May 2014, 16:58,
I do live those phrases; "personally I feel" and "I don't think"!

Folks, you need to do some real study and reflection. You are claiming what has already been done can not now be done in the much more autocratic society that exists today. I hear whistling in the darkness.

GB now has 60 million people.

In 1939, before WW2 started you had 47 million.

You were not an empty nation filled with happy farmers even back then and have only grown about 20% in 75 years.

GB has AWAYS (at least since the 17th century) housed evacuees and troops in private homes during times of crisis. The laws even mandated how many times a week the bed linens had to be changed and the laundry done.

I will just about guarantee that if you have the ruins of a WW2 military camp in your rural area then troops were housed in nearby residences by mandate! Those housings actually overshadowed the placements of evacuees.

My Father-in-Law was a member of the US First Division and was housed in a private residence with two if his squaddies.

Now that 2 generations filled with luxury and social amnesia have passed those tidbits of life have been lost in the haze, along with strict rationing, hording laws, confiscation of property for non-compliance and (God help us all) CONSCRIPTION!

Even the US Constitution makes provisions for mandated housing of evacuees and troops in times of crisis.
19 May 2014, 17:11,
yeah and so have rickets, and slum housing and national service. times have moved on and not everything remains the same and not everything that went before is possible now.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
19 May 2014, 18:55,
I have a pretty simple question, if you were in charge and a war broke out, and you had to evacuate the cities to reduce casualties incase of bombing....where would you put them? I doubt you'd put them into other cities. You'd probably look back and see what worked through history. Turns out massed population dispersion was a worthy tactic.....logic dictates.....do it again.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
19 May 2014, 20:42,
I don't think there is any likelihood of such a massed evacuation. There is just nowhere for people to go that would not cause extra, or possibly worse problems, than the original reason for evacuation. This country has changed dramatically in so many ways since the last evacuation in WW11 - the population has changed (more ethnic communities), and the way of life has changed. Just imagine trying to relocate Leeds to somewhere that was welcoming! I think not.

Small areas to be evacuated would probably be shunted into army barracks or leisure centres.

I suspect the Gov would just heave a long sigh and let people get on with it in their own areas.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
19 May 2014, 21:03,
Depends on timescale Mary,

Short term to overcome a specific time limited threat the rehousing camp concept works.

For longer term, semi permanent evacuation of large populations, the WWII model is tried and tested. Remember that local councils have fairly accurate records of the housing stock in their domains, and they can marry this up easily with Census data to determine which houses are under occupied. Spare bedrooms will be quickly identified, allowing evacuees to be billeted.
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

19 May 2014, 21:13,
Seems a difficult job replacing an imaginary threat with a real one.

The thing is that your government has contingency plans on file for just these occurrences and they did not bother to stop and ask what each of you though of the situation. They pay people, who have top secret clearances, to sit around and make these plans and to never tell you it has been done. If they are not working on them daily it is because the plans are already on file and ready for implementation.

Even the US has these plans and an entire section of government assigned to implement them.
19 May 2014, 21:17,
I bet they said the same thing before WW2. Well, technically they said it would never happen again, the whole world going to war...and it did. Same as a lot of people are saying "It's not going to happen again" it could well do.

The world is no more or less capable of handling a massed evacuation right now than it was back then. The infrastructure is no more suited now than it was back then. Food production is no more suited. So much of the problems of a massed evacuation that they had back then, we have right now.

So, as impractical as it was then is just as impractical as it is right now.

So how likely is it to happen right now?

Just as likely as it was back then.

Funny thing is, it did happen back then. Even funnier still, we're here saying it will never happen again, using the same problems of impracticality as they faced back when it did happen.
19 May 2014, 21:17,
Any evacuation would only be local, due to a specific threat or event.

With regards to the persistent comparisons to WWII, well that was a different time and age and the world today is a very different place and what applied then does not mean that the same will automatically happen tomorrow.

Culturally, I think it would be difficult to find any similarities between the UK of the 1940's and the UK of today.

Furthermore the nature of modern warfare has also changed and become far more sophisticated, the idea of widespread indiscriminate blanket bombing of our cities (the reason for the WWII evacuations) is crazy. It is far more likely to be one big nuke with little warning or a series of coordinated strikes against key infrastructure (Transport; Water; Power; Communications) and command/control centres.
19 May 2014, 21:26,
(19 May 2014, 21:17)Devonian Wrote: It is far more likely to be one big nuke with little warning

Well, the best way to account for that and minimise loss of human life, would be to evacuate large numbers of people from likely target areas.....it's like deja vu. And the warning issue...we'd probably get some kind of warning. Such as the kind the satellites used to monitor nuclear launch bases would provide. Or maybe even the recognition of the possibility and the preemptive response to it. Good old MI5 and other spy agencies should (we'd hope) recognise increased tensions and the alike.