Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
TOF and BoB's bug-out, the write up.
21 May 2014, 23:25,
TOF and BoB's bug-out, the write up.
The weekend started with me travelling halfway across the country with a bag full of stuff as well as a rucksack. I couldn’t understand how, when I go camping everything fits in a rucksack, but I do the bug-out thing and I need a suitcase AND a rucksack! Anyhoo, I arrived safe and sound, if a little weary of sitting down. The weather was perfect, warm and sunny all weekend.
We went straight out to scope the first site. BoB had found a cracking spot if a bit compact and bijou for two deep in woodland well out of sight. We had something to eat and then headed out to the site. Both our bags are in fact fishing bags and both are very comfy and sturdy. It was about a mile walk to the site, how BoB managed all the kit and Radio gubbins is beyond me. We got set up and went to bed more or less straight away. The tarp set up I had worked well, I was dry and comfy, no condensation. My kit is a mish mash of various bits and bobs, not very covert or bug-out correct, but it seems to work.I have noticed if something is camo, or olive drab the price is instantly inflated and that takes it out of my price range.
My cooking kit was swapped out as I knew the solid fuel stove and fuel blocks works a treat. That had been tested previously. This time I wanted to use the Spirit stove set up that I normally use when backpacking. I will stick with the fuel stove and blocks as it is more compact.
Owing to old bones, I really wouldn’t want to be without a sleepmat of some sort, though the self inflating one is a bit cumbersome. I will look into a fold-up one at some point.
My sleeping bag is 3 season Snugpak and I love it. But it is a large lump even when in a compression sack. Another thing to look at in the future is a lighter weight and more compact sleep system.
One thing I did find that worked really well with the tarp were some ball bungees I got. These added a bit of give to the tarp while holding it taut. A sound investment. I have by no means got the set up right, as I keep finding myself adding a few comforts but it does seem to be getting lighter.
We hiked out and spent the day at the beach.First we cooked breakfast then BoB spent the morning radioing and I wandered of photo foraging. We got the Catapults out and were immediately pounced on by some random chap who begged a go, so we had a bit of a competition and I won! Honestly, this chap instantly became 10 again and his dog was not impressed at the interruption to their walk.
On the second and third nights, it was more wild camping than a bug-out. More relaxed and civilised. Those Lidl tents are fantastic. Don’t be put off by the price. Both BoB and I have used them in wet weather and they hold up well. Mine saw a thunderstorm out and I was dry and comfy if scared $h!tless! There is one drawback to them, they are SMALL. It says two man, they lie. But at 1.7kg I defy anyone to find a better value tent that performs as well.
I got up at silly o’clock and took up Scythes challenge as there was plenty of Bunny evidence throughout the whole area where we camped, in fact the entire place reeked of Rabbit. There were runs and warrens all over the place. I did a bit of quiet walking and managed to get within 30 yds of one Rabbit, I was even closer to another that I hadn’t seen.
BoB spent more time radioing and we also had a go at a bit of fishing, missed a Skate, but caught lots of Crabs(no, not that sort) that could well have made a meal in a pinch.
As well as the usual suspects, I found some puffballs, sea beet and sea kale as well as samphire, plantains, reeds, mussels, winkles, and a few oysters. I made up some food packs and I also took some meals in foil pouches I found in Sainsburys. These were very good. However, the food I would have in a BOB and the food I usually carry are very different. Given that we were not in a Bug-out for real we did let a few luxuries slip through the net, a bit like Scythe and his Croissants. All in all it was a great weekend and I look forward to the next one, next year.

Sailing away, not close to the wind.Heart
22 May 2014, 07:33,
RE: TOF and BoB's bug-out, the write up.
Great write up TOF.

Good to see the gear is getting lighter. I've got a couple of gear bits to test further, one of which might REALLY help with the sleeping mat issue. If it lives up to current experience...full review coming soon.

The video was really good too, it gave a good show of what gear you're both carrying. Great work.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
22 May 2014, 12:05,
if you took no food , do you think you could of fed yourselfs with what was around you .
good write up and vid its nice to see folk showing and not just telling.
Survive the jive (youtube )
22 May 2014, 20:41, (This post was last modified: 22 May 2014, 20:42 by Bug_out_Bag.)
If we hadn't taken food there was plenty of bunny everywhere, there is sea bass, dabs, eels, kayakers etc for the catching although all we caught was small green crabs!!!
We could have easily knocked a few bunnies out with the catapult if we'd have felt inclined. We preferred to eat our tasty meatballs and scalloped potatoes all washed down with a nice cold Corona! You shuddabeenthere Sunna! Wink

And there was deer at Friday night's site.
23 May 2014, 10:54,
That's awesome BoB. Sounds like you both really complemented each other out there.

Were you able to pick up much signal? That's something I really need to double check when I next do a trial bug out (not just an equipment check trip though). We need to check our location for signal. Good thinking taking your gear out there with you!
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
24 May 2014, 22:39,
soerry tof cant find my ass without a map
Survive the jive (youtube )