Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Solar Radio Stations?
27 May 2014, 00:07,
Solar Radio Stations?
I'm not sure whether this has already been mentioned.

Has anyone considered the benefits of listening to a solar powered radio station? If so, do you have any recommendations and frequencies?

I just had the thought that if TSHTF, and power stations shut down, it would be brilliant to get some kind of 'eyes on the ground' kind of information.

The world is moving more towards eco-living. So the idea of solar powered radio stations, came to mind. They could be a very useful source of information.

What are your views?
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
28 May 2014, 08:42,
RE: Solar Radio Stations?
Not entirely sure of what you mean here Scythe.

Solar powered receiving and transmitting radio stations are entirely viable.
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

28 May 2014, 10:22,
(28 May 2014, 08:42)Lightspeed Wrote: Not entirely sure of what you mean here Scythe.

That might explain the lack of responses....oops.

There are some hippie communities that run eco/green radio stations, that are entirely powered by renewables and are 100% off grid. If there's a grid down situation, this style of radio station could provide a series of important datasets.

My thoughts are, they will still be up and running, and broadcasting on AM/FM frequencies, will continue to run and talk about the situation going on. They will be a beacon of information and a great help. With grid down...they'll still be running.

The other thought on these kinds of stations, they could be commendeered by TPTB and used to broadcast a message of 'everything is okay. Stay in your homes...etc'.

Either way, the information provided will be useful. If commendeered, it lets us know there is still a working police force or military. If it gets taken over by rioters and the alike, it provides info about how bad things are going/getting.

So I'm just curious who has thought about this and who has any experience working with them or even just turning in on them. Any info on their reliability and any recommendations for stations to tune into?
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
28 May 2014, 18:42,
OK Understood.

But I have no knowledge of the proposed stations you refer to. I guess that any good quality AM/FM receiver will allow you to listen in to them.

If they are already broadcasting, it will be a good idea to list all frequencies of stations within say 100 miles of you and start trying to receive them right away. That way you will know what can and what cannot be received, as well as getting used to the way they operate.
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580