Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
driving force.
31 May 2014, 19:58,
driving force.
should you teach your kids to drive before they are 17...?
the more people who can drive in your family/group the better....?
giving you and yours more chance to move more preps or people, now a 7yr old wont be able to reach the pedals but a 12yr old could i did at that age, you mabe the only driver in your family you may get injured and cannot drive.
would a child driver be good back up...?
Survive the jive (youtube )
31 May 2014, 20:54,
RE: driving force.
Many kids in the US first learn to drive a farm tractor by age 12 or so, then graduate to the old pickup truck which has FARM USE tags on it and is allowed to be driven on public roads only within the county of residence. Kids aren't supposed top drive on county roads, but only on the farm, but it is fairly common practice for them to visit neighborboring farms during daylight, supposedly for farm-related chores, close to home, as long as they don't do anything "stupid."

By the time they are 16 and old enough to get an instruction permit and take driver education in school (to qualify for a reduced insurance rate) many are competent, on rural roads at least, if not in town.

73 de KE4SKY
In
"Almost Heaven" West Virginia
USA
1 June 2014, 03:57,
Both my kids were driving at 12. My daughter was a natural driver and was one of those girls that was "12 going on 25" in appearance. No one ever questioned her place behind the wheel.

My son was the primary driver at my place when he was 14. I was a single parent and had some medical issues and was unable to operate a vehicle for almost a year. He had an official "hardship license" to insure his legality and insurance coverage.

I insisted that both my kids learn to drive both auto and straight transmissions as a survival and personal security issue.

You never know when you might have to boost a transport truck to get out of Dodge.

My kids were raised as "Prepper kids", even though the term did not exist, in our minds the concept was vivid. They were raised to be self reliant and capable with a clear concept that you do what you need to do to accomplish the task and keep yourself safe. If that meant driving you and your friends out of a bad situation in a "borrowed" car, so be it.

Age had nothing to do with it and the law was ignored if your personal safety was at issue.

We have a saying over here that is very applicable to these situations. "Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6."
1 June 2014, 09:12,
In the UK a child is allowed behind the wheel of a car at any age...on private property. But remember, it will be uninsured. Any accidents you have to pay for.

My opinion, yeah, why not? I intent to teach my kids to shoot at the age of 4 or 5. So driving...as soon as possible. It makes sense.

At the moment though, no kids. So it might take more like 12 years and 9 month to get one of ours behind the wheel. Haha

Oh and many people around my area were stealing cars around 14 years of age, so learning to do it right earlier....good idea. Then they'll be better getaway drivers.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
1 June 2014, 10:08,
Some race circuits do courses for teenagers.

Personally i could operate a car before i took my first driving lesson, and before i was the legal driving age!

benifits of growing up in the middle of nowhere!
in some cases, those with the least to say, say the most.....
1 June 2014, 10:34,
Most people in this area can drive well be age 17, those on farms can drive certain agricultural vehicles from an earlier age anyway and the others just learn on private roads/land, for example there is a private road owned by the council which leads to an old refuge tip and also to the beach, this is regularly used by the locals to teach kids from an early age to drive. Yes they are uninsured etc etc, but nobody cares as it is not 'public highway'.
1 June 2014, 11:38,
if you lived in Plymouth you were taught to drive off road on the old aerodrome at Yelverton.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.