Poll: Do you think the government will confiscate your supplies?
Never happen
Only under certain circumstances like Martial Law
Will be on their contingency plans
Not the government but an agency with access to the data
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What are the chances of confiscation by the government?
15 November 2011, 00:58,
RE: What are the chances of confiscation by the government?
(22 September 2011, 11:03)JD1 Wrote: Although I think it may be considered I don't particularly think that preppers food would be too high on the governments agenda. Supermarkets and Distribution Centres would be much more likely to be taken under control and fuel certainly so.

JD

A belated comment on that from me... Aren't all the UK supermarkets working on the "just in time" system? So that what's on the shelves is all they have? People think there are huge stashes out the back, when in fact there's just a loading bay for the daily deliveries from the distribution centres.
15 November 2011, 05:28, (This post was last modified: 15 November 2011, 05:43 by JD1.)
You're right, the JIT system falls flat on its arse if food is still going out the front door but not coming in the back door, and the stores would be stripped in a short space of time if that were to happen.

What tppb could easily do though is to close the front doors of the stores either completely or by introducing rationing, and also control the deliveries the RDC's. Each RDC may service hundreds of stores so although they too work on a JIT principle, at any one time each RDC is full of stock as everything that gets delivered to the stores is replenished though their own back door.
I cant find an edit button so before anyone thinks i've invented a new list of abbreviations Blush .....

"tppb" should read "tptb", and .... "and also control the deliveries the RDC's" should read "and also control the deliveries from the RDC's"
15 November 2011, 09:49,
(15 November 2011, 00:58)cryingfreeman Wrote:
(22 September 2011, 11:03)JD1 Wrote: Although I think it may be considered I don't particularly think that preppers food would be too high on the governments agenda. Supermarkets and Distribution Centres would be much more likely to be taken under control and fuel certainly so.

JD

A belated comment on that from me... Aren't all the UK supermarkets working on the "just in time" system? So that what's on the shelves is all they have? People think there are huge stashes out the back, when in fact there's just a loading bay for the daily deliveries from the distribution centres.

Yes the current stocks of food for the UK are held by the importers and supermarket distribution newtworks not the government. Currently the UK hold no national reserves of food or fuel for the civilian population and only the 90days war stocks for the military.

In the 70s and 90s the UK kept 90s days of meat, grain and fuel for the nation in huge depots and stores along with the rest of the civil defence infrastructures such as the Green godess fleet, etc, now we dont have any reserves, and the entire UK supermarket logistics system contains only 3 days supplies.

Pretty much a similar tale for oil and gas stocks, at one point only 2 or 3 years ago the UK only had 4 hours supplies of natural gas available during a cold spell, Norway piped us just enough to see us through. Again with electricity the south east of England very frequently is utterly reliant on supplies of electicity from Frances nuclear power stations at peak times during the winter.

Guys 60 years ago our grand parents kept extra foods and preserves for a rainy day or if they got snowed in, but with the advent of the supermarkets the sheeple stopped keeping food or fuel at home.

No larders in our houses any more, no more " I'll have 6 extra bags of coal please" anymore, No more " well buy half a pig and share it among the family".

I visited Leeds recently and found that many of the huge population of the apartment dwellers near the city center rely almost 100% on the 24/7 Tesco mini stores located at the base of the apartment blocks for almost every meal.

15 November 2011, 11:40,
A big worry is money for a lot of preppers, me included.
I'd love to have more kit but it all comes down to money.
But knowledge is a free resourse available, and the internet is wonderful for that.
I know I have seeds like a lot of others, and practice, and even if I cant physicaly practice I imagination practice, running through scenarios in my head. Its hard with a family too , sometimes your prepping takes a back seat to everday life.
I try and grab a few hours here and there for discussions on the forums etc, It's like having your own tribe.
"Some say the end is near, some say we will see Armageddon soon...
I certainly hope we will, I sure could use a vacation from this silly shit."
15 November 2011, 13:11,
Mike,

That is what it is all about. Glad you like it.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
15 November 2011, 19:54,
Plan things carefully and the use the rotation system. Pick up an extra tin of soup etc here and there.
There are other foods which last a while as well. Keep some milk in the freezer. Rotate it now and then. Cured meats last a long time - admittedly in a cold place. Bacon and gammon will keep for a few weeks.
Take advantage of special offers when you see them. Especially for non perishable goods.