Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mental Health Post SHTF
6 June 2014, 14:58,
Mental Health Post SHTF
This post is all about what, when, how, and did you think about....?

I have spoken about depression with the collapse, and about depression post and prior to TSHTF. There are many other mental health issues to think about, and some you may not be happy to either face, or know how to deal with.

Firstly, if you have no mental health issues, if there is a group of survivors, would you know how to adapt to a team member that had ADHD or something like that? What about Downs? What about Aspergers?

Would you know how to use the advantages that person would be able to provide? Would you even know what advantages they have?

What about the disadvantages? You would not want a dyslexic reading messages out to the group (I'm dyslexic, so I speak from a pretty well educated view point here), neither would you want a person, like my cousin, with Downs incharge of a hunting party.

Next up, if you have something like ADHD or are somewhere on the Autistic scale, or have any other mental health issue that could be considered an issue, do you know about how that could benefit you? Do you know the advantages it would provide? Also, do you know how to express your ability with the advantages?

For example, ADHD causes lots of energy but a very short attention span. However, there is hyperfocus, that means a person with ADHD can be 100% absorbed into an activity so much so they can forget to eat and sleep.

We, are preppers, understand that we cannot always choose the situations we face, nor the people we face those situations with.

But it does make sense to recognise that we are not all the same, and that the differences certain people have may seem negative, but can really be hugely advantageous. Also, if you feel you are different, recognise the good and bad, then focus and work on enhancing the good elements of what will help you survive.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
6 June 2014, 15:22,
RE: Mental Health Post SHTF
firstly, I do not personally believe anyone with a SERIOUS mental health problem will survive post SHTF. secondly would I want to team up with people who do have such a health problem? in all honesty...NO.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
6 June 2014, 15:45,
I worked in and around the mental health field for all of my career. All of it from mild ADD to "serial sex offenders", murderers and psycos.

Of one thing I am certain, 90% of these issues are contrived by professionals to perpetuate their jobs and incomes.

The other 10% of these issues, good and bad, have a protected place in modern society that SHTF will end.

SHTF and it will all sort itself out, and very quickly. Pay attention or die, sit still or die, follow instructions or die, keep the innocent near and protected, execute those that are a danger to others.

The minor mental disorders will sort themselves out, the major mental disorders will get sorted out by others.
6 June 2014, 16:13,
You must accept the fact that some people are not just mentally ill, but are evil sociopaths.

People with Anti-Social Personality Disorders (ASPDs) do not think like us. We should stop pretending that they do; the eventual consequences of our own stupidity in doing so is simply too great to ignore.

The biggest error that people make is assuming that criminals (anti-social personality disordered people) are normal people who are mostly a lot like us and who engage in criminal activity due to internal changes in their persona, which changes are reactions to some negative life experience they were exposed to and possibly traumatized by, like child abuse. This is completely false, but society clings to this type of belief because we've been taught that everyone can rise above themselves and be rehabilitated. This is totally wrong, but it works for the criminals if we believe it!

To get realistic insight into criminals and criminal thinking, read Robert Hare's book, "Without Conscience"; Hare is a PhD Psychologist with University of British Columbia and one of the very few out there who truly gets it. The book is a fast read and required reading for those working in corrections.

First-time criminals who get busted, weeded out at pre-trial and pre-sentence meetings between their attorney and the DA's office, will most likely be taken care of by probation, sort of like "out-patient" prison. Those folks are the ones who can often be rehabbed. Their crimes are caused by stupidity, egged on by youthful hormones and such.

Repeat offenders have a different internal motivating system - more in common with lust and addiction than it does with most other human traits. These criminals make up 99% of our incarcerated inmates, commit crime because they LIKE it! Get Hare's book - it's a great read; he has a web site you can check out too.

A significant component in the make-up of the average ASPD is genetic. There is a feral nature within them that is challenging and scary to those charged with catching them, incarcerating and rehabilitating them. A boyhood friend is a forensic psychiatrist who works in the Federal corrections system. He averages a thousand clinical interviews per year with DOC. During his 20 year career he says that he encountered ONE inmate he thought might have a chance at rehabilitation. Just one. None of the others were interested. That feral component of their personality is something they typically try to hide (except for those already in max-max and max-close - they've embraced it, they live it, they feed it and work hard to grow it, which is a hoot to them), and it always surprised me the number of veteran law enforcement folks who couldn't spot it, even when it was in the early stages of having "come out to play".

The only way to protect your family from the evil ones who walk among us is to be armed, and stay vigilant.

Martha Stout's The Sociopath Next Door is highly recommended.

Another book I recommend for anyone trying to understand criminals is Stanton Samenow, Inside the Criminal Mind. He worked under a well known psychiatrist, Samuel Yochelson, at St. Elizabeth's Hospital in DC, who was studying the criminal mind. His first book was in the 1983. In his second one in 2004, this is his conclusion after studying criminals for 3 decades:

"The person who makes crime a way of life has a radically different way of thinking from the individual who behaves responsibly. The two mentalities are so different, it's as though the criminal were a different breed."

Massad Ayoob in his book, The Truth about Self Protection, echoes, Samenow. "These predatory people don't think like you. They aren't people like you. They are a different breed. Talk to doctors and psychiatrists and lawyers and probation officers. These are all people who understand the criminal mind." I would add some cops and prison guards.

73 de KE4SKY
In
"Almost Heaven" West Virginia
USA
6 June 2014, 17:09,
please define "anti social personality disorder"!! one can be anti social without being prone to criminal behaviour, I class myself as being a "loner"..(that was how I was brought up..being an "only" child) one at peace in their "own" company but being ill at ease in a crowd, preferring the quiet and solace of the countryside and surrounded by nature rather than other people.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
6 June 2014, 17:42,
WOW! I'm not sure about over in the US, but here in the UK we have quite a broad spectrum of mental health diagnoses and orders.

I was thinking more along the lines of recognising that if someone is different, they're not all psychos! Granted some are. But not all. Infact, it's only a very small percentage that are psychotic. I was thinking more along the lines of recognising the less extreme part of the mental health spectrum and being able to recognise that in a person or in yourself, and being able to adapt and work with it, if not harness it and benefit from it.

MB recognised that some elements will sort themselves out and others will get sorted out. But it still makes sense for us to accept and appreciate that not everyone will be the same and if someone is slightly different, to understand it.

If someone is a real psychotic killer, they're usually in a high end job and highly intelligent. It is rear that a serial killer is an idiot...usually the idiot ones get caught early on and thus cannot be serial killers. But the thing is, just because someone is different, it doesn't mean they're a psycho.

With mental health, things are not just black and white. There is a HUGE spectrum of grey in there.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
6 June 2014, 18:03, (This post was last modified: 6 June 2014, 18:05 by CharlesHarris.)
If you speak with law enforcement professionals and Crown Prosecutors, I believe that you will find they agree with those observations and that UK experience is little different.

The test for evaluating Antisocial Personality Disorder:

http://www.psymed.info/default.aspx?m=Test&id=90&l=3

73 de KE4SKY
In
USA
6 June 2014, 18:10,
not really the answer I was looking for. tests can be fooled.
6 June 2014, 18:45,
The test is only a self-diagnostic tool to encourage people to get help. The books referred to in my earlier post have detailed info, as does Gavin deBecker's The Gift of Fear.

73 de KE4SKY
In
USA
6 June 2014, 18:51,
you were espousing something then refer to self tests and books, do you know anything about the subject or are you just sounding off?