Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
National Grid Preparing for the Risk of Blackouts this Winter
20 October 2014, 16:55,
RE: National Grid Preparing for the Risk of Blackouts this Winter
Having no slack in the system is an old excuse for power companies to say they have to put up prices.

20 October 2014, 17:17,
if you remove 5 old diesel power stations under EU directive and only replace them with 2 new nuclear ones(never mind the fact they wont be producing electric until 2023) I think even a village idiot could do the sums !!!Angry
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
20 October 2014, 18:32,
I hope your right Dev that would be brill for UKIP and I am all for that but they will NOT need power cuts to cause them to win Big ....that will follow anyway....with regard to people loosing work....spect you mean part timers on zero contracts that work two or three jobs to stand still......you will be telling me next that we are coming out or recession, and britain is better fixed than most and things are getting better .....admit it Dev you want to vote Ukip but you don,,t want to tell us......its ok us kippers.....as idiot boris calls us......we understand mate .....coming out is hard.
20 October 2014, 18:58,
if you remove 5 old diesel power stations under EU directive and only replace them with 2 new nuclear ones(never mind the fact they wont be producing electric until 2023) I think even a village idiot could do the sums !!!Angry

Yup but it also makes us more reliant on imported energy from the EU which gives them more leverage and control over us.

20 October 2014, 18:59,
(20 October 2014, 17:17)bigpaul Wrote: if you remove 5 old diesel power stations under EU directive and only replace them with 2 new nuclear ones(never mind the fact they wont be producing electric until 2023) I think even a village idiot could do the sums !!!Angry

And don't forget about those which have been taken off line following the discovery of cracks in the boilers!

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2...cember-edf

(20 October 2014, 18:32)Straight Shooter Wrote: I hope your right Dev that would be brill for UKIP and I am all for that but they will NOT need power cuts to cause them to win Big ....that will follow anyway....with regard to people loosing work....spect you mean part timers on zero contracts that work two or three jobs to stand still......you will be telling me next that we are coming out or recession, and britain is better fixed than most and things are getting better .....admit it Dev you want to vote Ukip but you don,,t want to tell us......its ok us kippers.....as idiot boris calls us......we understand mate .....coming out is hard.

Yes, Zero hours contracts, but also if you take small businesses like my own, I run an internet company and no power means there is little we can do so staff would be sent home, generators are not really an option for a company of our size, but also the power being off would affect the ability of our customers to place orders or just contact us!

Coming out of the recession - yes, we are already out, last year our T/O was up 60%, this year we are looking at doubling T/O, but margins are still tight and wages are not increasing, but it is fact that the economy is growing.

Is Britain fixed, I believe we are on the right path, but it will take time, and we as a country ARE doing better than most Wink why do you think the immigrants choose here rather than Spain - it's not the weather they like!!

I don't want to vote for UKIP as I don't believe they have the experience or capability to actually manage a country and the economy etc and fear if they got it, they would make things worse. BUT...... I desperately want us out of the EU and for England to become its own master in a strong UK. Slightly off topic, but as said before 'if' we have power problems I believe it will help the anti-EU voters as it is because of EU policy's that so many of our power stations have closed,
20 October 2014, 19:11,
Dev sez
I don't want to vote for UKIP as I don't believe they have the experience or capability to actually manage a country and the economy etc and fear if they got it, they would make things worse. BUT.

Dev Do you think the big three parties have done a good job of creating a modern UK, I certainly do not they have taken turns from 1945 to turn the British Empire into an insignificant backwater, Both German and French standards of living are vastly superior to ours.

Its time for a change UKIP simply could not do a worse job than the Tories did in the 80s and Labour did in the noughts, time for change.

20 October 2014, 19:24,
Well Dev I have been in biz for forty years and do not see what you see but its alright pal it is what it is . Regardless of your view or mine. Power cuts knows no boundry ....domestic or commercial , All suffer and if prolonged Dev well we all loose our biz and jobs anyway.......keep up your preps Dev my boy.
20 October 2014, 19:41,
Been expecting this, and it has been inserted slyly into the news on various occasions. Candles at the ready; firewood stocked for fires and hopefully it will come to nothing.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
21 October 2014, 10:50,
I have been forecasting a power shortfall for years, looks like the pigeons are finally coming home to roost. Gas is another one- last winter or the winter before we were down to 3 days NATIONAL supply at one time...not that we've got gas here in the countryside anyone on gas here has got either calor or LPG, a few have oil fired but its not the norm and that's getting expensive I hear.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
28 October 2014, 15:01,
here's the latest on the Electricity supply(or lack of it): "Blackout Britain , power cuts if winter is long and cold": http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/528506/...res-winter