Poll: Can a Sweet Tin be Used as a Faraday Cage?
Yes
No
Yes, but only if lined with a non-conducting material
[Show Results]

Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Faraday Cage
12 June 2014, 17:46, (This post was last modified: 12 June 2014, 17:48 by Devonian.)
Faraday Cage
Ok fairly simply question.....

Could a metal biscuit tin or sweet tin (think Quality Street or Roses) be used as a simple faraday cage to protect small electronic devices?

And if yes, does it need to be lined to prevent contact between the electrical equipment and the tin itself?
12 June 2014, 18:41,
RE: Faraday Cage
http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/ch...aday-cage/
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
12 June 2014, 19:42,
Thanks for the link S13, that web page does state that the internals need to be lined with cardboard or similar to avoid contact between the electronic devices and the tin.

Also the test they give about putting a mobile inside and calling it to test the efficiency of the tin is good - just tried it with a biscuit tin and the mobile didn't ring and the call was diverted to voicemail, so I guess I have a fully functional faraday cage big enough for plenty of portable hard disks; usb flash drives; phones; radio's etc...

Cool

Just in time for the Friday 13th Solar flares

http://news.sky.com/story/1280838/solar-...riday-13th
12 June 2014, 22:12, (This post was last modified: 12 June 2014, 22:12 by Lightspeed.)
Hi Dev,

Yes and yes.

make sure that the tin's top is electrically connected to the bottom. Scraping the joint between the two pats back to bare metal will do this.

To test, put a mobile phone in the tin and ring it. If the cage is working, the phone will not ring.
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

13 June 2014, 03:38,
A great expedient is a no longer used, microwave oven, from which you have cut of the power cord, sjmply using the shielded box.

73 de KE4SKY
In
"Almost Heaven" West Virginia
USA
13 June 2014, 09:13,
Got a deep pond? Not quite as practical for retrieving said electrickery, but you can't keep fish in a tin either. Well, not live ones.
13 June 2014, 13:29, (This post was last modified: 13 June 2014, 13:31 by Sunna.)
just put my mobile in a saucepan lid on rang it / no answer.
would i have to line the saucepan...?

sorry ,with its lid on.
Survive the jive (youtube )
13 June 2014, 13:53,
Yes, same principal as the biscuit/sweet tin.

I've lined the tin I have on all sides with twin wall cardboard from an old cardboard box, but someone has suggested off the forum to use bubble wrap as an alternative.
13 June 2014, 14:09,
I haven't the faintest idea about this sort of thing, which could account for me going the Amish route!!
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
13 June 2014, 15:22,
I used polystyrene ceiling tiles
Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool!!!!