Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wheat and other grains
23 June 2014, 21:08,
Wheat and other grains
As with redoing the front garden, the mind goes wild. We have 8 corn plants that we really should have repotted.

The idea is to learn to make corn bread.

Do you plan on growing any grains for bread production? If so, what, how, and how will you process the grains to get flour?
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
24 June 2014, 11:33,
RE: Wheat and other grains
I've given a lot of thought to this and it won't be as easy as people think. I'm not sure if Modern Wheat varieties require chemical help to grow etc, as compared to older varieties. Wheat grown the old way is very labour intensive, but if you have the manpower anything is possible. You would have to buy a hand grinder/mill and this takes time. It used to be chore for people hence the saying "the daily grind". Spuds are easier and more reliable and yield better, but we would need Bread wouldn't we, especially for Bacon & Black pudding butties.
24 June 2014, 11:53,
I think if we had bread at all post SHTF it would be more like "flatbreads" rather than the modern risen breads.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
25 June 2014, 11:22,
i vote for spuds as they can almost be grown all year round also they keep well .

Tonguei love chippy chips
Survive the jive (youtube )
25 June 2014, 12:03,
Quinoa is an option but you have to remove soapanins by washing
It's not the end of the world, but you can see it from here