Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GHB Clothing Decision
23 June 2014, 22:10,
GHB Clothing Decision
A while back, I decided that if there was a major event, it may well be required to make my way home.

This is an obvious possibility, and is what most survivalists/preppers refer to as getting home. Infact, it's probably what everyone refers to that as. However, preppers and survivalists have a gear selection to make their journey home much easier. This is the GHB, the Get Home Bag.

Along with the GHB is the clothing a person will wear on their journey home.

For me, I have a job that requires me to wear a suit. Which isn't the most practical outfit for long distance travel by foot. So a Throw Bag is always kept in the back of my car.

For the clothing and gear, I have opted to go with as much multi-cam clothing as possible, including waterproof jacket. One item I have kept mostly basic is tshirt. The reason for this is to be able to 'blend in' with the general populace if I'm nearing a population centre. However, the general idea is to be able to shift and get home ASAP.

With the clothing, I have also opted for a different carry system. Instead of a gear heavy set-up, I have gone more towards the ultralight running load-out, with a little extra for survival purposes. The idea is to be able to travel 24/7 to get home. If I was to be with a heavy load, the journey would take longer. With the smaller gear load, I am able to travel much faster and be much fresher when I get home.

Due to the fact that our location is mostly rural and I'd be travelling through predominantly rural areas, the camo clothing was an easy option to go for.

If I was based around London, or another city, my GHC (Get Home Clothing) would be much more jeans and tshirt, to blend in with the area and people. The concept is to merge and not stand out. If you can walk through a crowd and nobody bats an eyelid, you're succeeding. The same with the countryside. If you can move without being noticed, that's perfect.

The requirement to be able to really shift is number 1, for me. However, the ability to lay low and not be noticed....that's right up there too.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
24 June 2014, 03:00,
RE: GHB Clothing Decision
When I worked in DC I used to take the Metrobus into the Pentagon, then get onto the tube and finish my commute downtown to Farragut Square, then walk to my office near Scott Circle and 16th Street, near the then USSR embassy, which was an ELINT target of interest.

I then wore a suit to and from the office, before changing into a tradesman's garb with work belt and hardhat. I blended back into the suited masses for the commute home, but my briefcase also carried the jogging suit, Nike running shoes, knit watch cap, gloves, fleece vest and Goretex windbreaker, along with pepper spray, ASP baton and Spyderco police model lockblade folder. Water bottle and small kit with razor, toothbrush, dent floss, and first aix kit completed the package which worked for 14 years.

When I took a local government job outside the beltway I drove to work, still alternating the suit office and field workclothes routine, keeping a complete change of outdoor clothing in my bag in case activated for a double shift or having to work anincident overnight. Did that for another 22 years until I retired.

73 de KE4SKY
In
"Almost Heaven" West Virginia
USA
24 June 2014, 05:31,
I think luckily for us in the UK the track suit is an acceptable form of dress which makes blending in while remaining capable of long walks comfortably relatively easy.
Personally I work in the military and live in a rural area. Too much camo, especially on GHB's etc can draw more attention for some people desperate for government/military intervention in a crisis so I prefer natural coloured clothes to help blend in off the beaten track. I have dyed some old desert cam's specifically for this purpose. Hunting gear is a good option too but pricey.
24 June 2014, 08:49,
my normal style of dress is denim, denim and more denim, so I look like most people in that respect(I don't look like lots of other people with the long hair and beard!) I generally wear walking boots, so no problem, grab the GCH from under the back seats and head out.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.