Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Walking and Whittling
23 June 2014, 22:19, (This post was last modified: 23 June 2014, 22:20 by Scythe13.)
Walking and Whittling
Now here's something I thought I'd try out, turns out it's as difficult as it sounds.

Over the weekend we went camping with some friends for Mrs S13's birthday.

On the Sunday we all went for a long walk with the dogs (5 dogs in total) which was fun.

While on the walk I decided to pick up a stick and try to whittle and walk at the same time.

This was much harder than expected! Initially I thought "Steady hand, easy job." but just carving off the bark and smoothing the wood was about as tech as the whittling would have been. I know for a fact I could not have made a very good spoon, fork, or fine fishing hook while walking. The limit was about 'walking stick' or throwing stick with burrs for the fingers. A police truncheon would have been doable. But that really is it. Granted it was a first try, but it gave me a lot of thoughts about flint knapping and the alike.

My thoughts are, any major work that would be simple enough to do, it is possible to do so while walking, but once you have your base material to a 'workable' level, put it away and start prepping a new piece. This allows you to have 4 or 5 piece of material ready to go, for when you're sat down and steady.

Is it a hugely practical thing to do? Not really.

Is it good practice towards skinning rabbits, and other stuff, while on the move? Yes. The idea is that you'd have a rabbit 90% done while walking to check another snare or something like that.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
27 June 2014, 19:30,
RE: Walking and Whittling
Walking while trying to whittle or paunch a rabbit, I hope you've packed a first aid kit Scythe Angel
27 June 2014, 21:56,
RE: Walking and Whittling
(27 June 2014, 19:30)Talon Wrote: Walking while trying to whittle or paunch a rabbit, I hope you've packed a first aid kit Scythe Angel

Fair answer mate. It was a very interesting exercise to try out. I'm going to try a rabbit some time, Obviously just slitting and gutting while I walk.

Could be very useful to be able to do.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin