Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Where would you start rebuilding?
25 June 2014, 14:04,
RE: Where would you start rebuilding?
all the bridges across the severn are road bridges ,you may of seen the one in worcester during the recent floods on tv water almost as high as the arches.
they closed it for a while checked it it was fine, our bridges are hard not like devon gay bridges.TongueTongueTongue
Survive the jive (youtube )
25 June 2014, 14:36,
a lot of the older medieval Devon bridges are built on Wool Sacks(I kid you not).
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
25 June 2014, 18:39,
Places are rarely planned. They just spring up because the right people and resources are there. Old cities were build where they are for a reason and it isn't usually because of someone making a decision.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
26 June 2014, 08:13,
most settlements were originally built either on the coast or alongside rivers because it was easier to get about by water because the land was heavily forested.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
27 June 2014, 03:24,
One of the differences between England and the US is that most English cities are so ancient that one can only look at them and say "It must have been for .....whatever".

In the US we still have record of WHY the cities were placed where they were.

In many cases we have the record of the decision, know who made it and for what reason.

The big cities were almost always at river confluences, good harbors, points where land trails forded rivers.

By the mid 1800s cities were springing up along rail lines as whistle stops and rail hubs.

And aptly enough, some of the oldest villages were established by Native Americans at salt springs.
27 June 2014, 08:30,
I think if everything was in ruins I would want to start again as far away from the ruins as I could get-in case of pollution,disease, refugees/raiders etc. I wouldn't want to rebuild "society" but just on a personal level it would have to be somewhere with a plentiful year round water supply and good agricultural land, not necessarily grade 1 land but easily worked, not too sandy, not too much clay.
27 June 2014, 17:10,
No, you won't.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tell
27 June 2014, 17:16,
do "tell"!!Big GrinBig Grin