Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Insect Farming
2 July 2014, 16:44,
Bug  Insect Farming
IN an effort to reduce costs and be more self sufficient i have started a couple of insect farms for my new and eventually some chickens which will be my next project after the aquaponics.

At the moment i am farming meal worms. mealworms are a yellowy/browny colour with weird little legs. They have 4 stages:

1: The egg
2: The worm
3: The cocoon
4: The beetle

I am growing them in a plastic set of draws each level a different stage in the top drawer i have the cocoons waiting to turn into the beatles then the worms underneath. when i finally get beatles i will put the eggs in a sepereate tub untill they hatch so they are not eaten.

I need to add mesh to the bottom of the draws so eggs can fall down if they are hatched in the bedding (oats) and on the worms so the poo drops into a second level for easy cleaning.

I am starting a cricket farm today in an old fish tank for a greater variety of insect for the animals.

Eventually i would like to feed them off plants i grow for them so i dont need to get anything for them.
It's not the end of the world, but you can see it from here

2 July 2014, 16:51,
RE: Insect Farming
I looked into the cricket farming after some insect meal experiments. They're not too bad. A little nutty.

It'd be really good to see how you're setting it all up and where you got all the gear from.

Any photos?
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
2 July 2014, 22:04,
Brilliant idea, SP. Great source of protein for the chicks. Saves loads on feed and improves self-sufficiency. Would be really interested to hear how you get on.

(Not sure if SWAMBO would appreciate a meal-worm farm in the kitchen. Might have to put it in the shed!)
Find a resilient place and way to live, then sit back and watch a momentous period in history unfold.
2 July 2014, 22:41,
I haven't noticed any smell just when you pick up the tray you can here the mass wriggling...kinda reminds me of rice krispie cracklings.

If you decide to start a farm don't put in too much oats like i did makes more work to do

This is the worms with their dinner
[Image: image_zpseec44387.jpg]

they devoured lettuce leaves like nothing else i have also had success with pear. I am trying to get them on carrot

When they are ready they turn into these
[Image: image_zps67de7c5f.jpg]
i separate them and when they come out as beetles i will put them in a propper place. they wriggle still when you pick them up and its a bit creepy.

This is the start of the crickets. the tape is to stop them climbing out
[Image: image_zps1929bc75.jpg]

3 July 2014, 09:23,
Looking awesome there SP.

Remove the tap mate. It'll become a load of hassle, and you'll end up killing some that needn't die. Also, they'll use the bodies of the crickets that are stuck on the sticky tape as a way to get out (literally climbing over the dead). Instead, use some fine wire mesh over the top of the container, then put the lid over that. If need be, you can tape the mesh to the outside of the tank, or you can just make it a damn snug fit.

One thing you might not be a fan of, but crickets are amazing protein for chickens...and people! If you freeze them, then powder them up, they make unbelievably high-protein burgers! If you need to you can use them to bulk other meats, or just use them straight as the base for the burgers themselves.

Make sure you feed them a little carrot before you freeze them. The carrot actually cleans them out and removes the impurities...and poop, from their system.

Just make sure you get the crickets into an empty plastic container, then drop in some shredded carrot. If you just throw carrot into the box, like you have with the worms, they'll continue to eat poo...and you'll get sick!
3 July 2014, 11:40,
Not planning to eat them yet. Your a braver/crazier man than me

The sticky part of the tape is down.
It is too sloppy to climb over ( or so I have been told)

3 July 2014, 12:49,
It'll be good to see how you handle the breeding pattern for the crickets. They're my main focus, as for food, they are super protein filled, and should be able to produce protein at far higher quantities than other animals.

Many scientists are talking about high volume insect farming as an everday food source for the future.
8 July 2014, 14:55,
I have been looking at info about eating crickets / cicadas too. Our area is over-run with them every summer, and have been hearing them chirping away all hours for the past few days.
I figure if all the other food stocks I have fail or run out over summer, at least I know where a free supply of protein can be found.
8 July 2014, 17:06,
(8 July 2014, 14:55)Jace Wrote: I have been looking at info about eating crickets / cicadas too. Our area is over-run with them every summer, and have been hearing them chirping away all hours for the past few days.
I figure if all the other food stocks I have fail or run out over summer, at least I know where a free supply of protein can be found.

I think everyone will be having the same view mate. Better off farming them ahead of time so you have your own personal supply.