Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Personal Seed Bank
13 July 2014, 20:43,
Personal Seed Bank
So a quick question, has anyone setup their own Survival Seed Bank, and I don't mean do you have a handful of Thompson & Morgan seed packets in a tin in the garage?

I'm thinking more about properly sealed heirloom seeds in mylar bags stored in your fridge or freezer, to maintain their condition for long term use and from which you can also collect your own seeds for use in future years.

Its something I've been looking into and trying to find a reliable source of quality heirloom seeds suitable for long term storage hasn't been straightforward.

There are plenty of Chinese companies claiming to offer such seeds for pennies, but it's not something I would be willing to rely on!

RealSeeds.co.uk are probably next best thing in the UK, but I've just found this which seems perfect for anyone one wanting a quick and easy fix:

http://myseedcellar.com/shop/the-emergen...seed-bank/
13 July 2014, 21:37,
RE: Personal Seed Bank
I make my own every year with a wide variety of seeds. If one is spoiled then I can fall back on the others. Hopefully even with a 90% loss I could get going and build up my supplies and reseed.

I don't just stick to heirloom. Some genetic stuff is OK. It may have more resilience and although the next batch may not breed true from the harvested seeds it will give out something.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
13 July 2014, 21:50,
Harvesting and storing my own seeds is something that I really need to try and get on top off. Historically, I've never bothered, but that needs to change!
14 July 2014, 06:06,
I save a wide variety of seed every year, but this is more for the follow years sowings rather than for a seed back as I prefer to use as fresh seed as possible.

This link might be of some interest to you:

http://workwithnature-info.webs.com/
15 July 2014, 00:06,
Everything I planted this year was from seed saved from the best of last years plants.

I had a 90% germination rate and have been very pleased with this years plants.