Poll: Do you think you have prepared enough?
Yes, I am fully prepared
Yes, I'm prepared enough but still adding
No, I am nearly there
No, I'm a long way away
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do you think you have prepared enough?
7 July 2013, 09:58,
RE: Do you think you have prepared enough?
Years ago, when Chernobyl blew my then wife was pregnant with our second child, being told to tape up your windows, don’t eat fresh food grown locally and then watching the sheep opposite our house being gathered in, and taken away for "disposal" as contaminated livestock, that made me a prepper.

The sun shinning one day, then your shiting yourself! If it happened once it can happen again, I remember clearly the local radio warnings about Duck taping the windows,and my wife being told only to eat tinned or frozen food.

Today I have plenty duck tape and tinned foods, and a hell of a lot more! but never enough
7 July 2013, 12:20,
You never know when sods law is going to bite your ass. Theres hundreds of reactors across the world just awaiting the actions of an idiot or earthquake to unleash misery for millions

7 July 2013, 22:55,
In the beginning I started with food first , grains was the first item bought, then honey lots of honey , then I stumbled onto this site .....the result of which has learnt me to become methodical in my prepps ( the way I used to store food ) was a mess you will learn the hard way like I did if you do not listen to better informed people on this site ,they may not be experts BUT they know enough to show you the way, I have progressed a fair old way down the road, the one criticism I have is the constant upgrading of this knife or that bow , although well intended to help us I am sure ....but for newbies it can be very disconcerting and confusing , when you consider most on here struggle to live with a normal lifestyle let alone shelling out much needed funds on prepps . How much for a GOOD knife, how much for a GOOD bow .....well I can tell you newbies......what ever you can afford is GOOD enough when you consider all you have to get...the list is long and the time is becoming short "maybe" who knows...but its better to have something that nothing at all , learn from Kenneth's articles on the main site for starters great practical advice, BigPauls skip diving adventures , Highlanders posts on constructing a bunker / poly tunnel , S13 posts on doing things on the cheap, Northern raiders posts on any f..king thing , the things I most like are from members that talk from experience about what they do day in day out ....without the bullshit approach plane honest practical advice .....mary springs to mind here and not forgetting Time Lord and many if not ALL others who participate on here ....to be honest I learn from ALL on here even if you just reply to a post , ALL input has a value ! ....back to the point ,being a prepper or survivalist I think you never get to the end ..."totally ready for anything " but the way in which we prepare and the mind set will train us for the majority of what is coming our way, if nothing else it gives me purpose and a happy fulfilled existence .
8 July 2013, 08:30,
If you are standing there with a knife on your right hip and a bottle of water on your left hip, and you have a plan and the will to survive you are prepped, anything else is a bonus.

8 July 2013, 09:05,
I've got a loooong way to go, but things are taking shape day by day,

I've never made fresh pasta before, gonna give it a bash this week, flour + egg = pasta..... how hard can it be???? :lol:
in some cases, those with the least to say, say the most.....
8 July 2013, 09:26,
I made 36 jars of strawberry jam yesrerday with the Mrs and Junior and it worked first time FFS !!!!!!!

8 July 2013, 10:55,
Thanks to the advice on this site I now have a functioning water filter system made from two food grade plastic buckets a brewers tap, and two filter candles.
cost
Buckets: nothing , scavenged from a local bakers ,they could not be happier for me to take them.
Filters: £32.00 inc delivery from avonsoft (thank you NR)
Tap: £3.95 inc delivery off ebay.
Even the OH drank the water and said how good it tasted and she hates the taste of water normally.
Next payday building another one,you can never have too many.
If anybody if interested I also bought a TDS4 meter it tells you how many parts per million of total dessolvable solids are in your water,so you can see how pure it is(£18.00 off ebay).
So all I can say is thank you everybody.
8 July 2013, 11:31,
if you dont mind me asking what was the TDS before and after?
in some cases, those with the least to say, say the most.....
8 July 2013, 11:38,
(8 July 2013, 10:55)Chaos25 Wrote: Thanks to the advice on this site I now have a functioning water filter system made from two food grade plastic buckets a brewers tap, and two filter candles.
cost
Buckets: nothing , scavenged from a local bakers ,they could not be happier for me to take them.
Filters: £32.00 inc delivery from avonsoft (thank you NR)
Tap: £3.95 inc delivery off ebay.
Even the OH drank the water and said how good it tasted and she hates the taste of water normally.
Next payday building another one,you can never have too many.
If anybody if interested I also bought a TDS4 meter it tells you how many parts per million of total dessolvable solids are in your water,so you can see how pure it is(£18.00 off ebay).
So all I can say is thank you everybody.

Tap water tastes of piss compared to what comes out of a Berkfield ( In London it probably is piss cos they reckon Thames water passes through seven sets of kidneys before it reaches the sea) Chlorine, Copper sulphates, Aluminium sulphates,sediments and god knows what else they add to the system spoils the taste of the water even if it leaves it safe to drink.

10 July 2013, 18:42,
(8 July 2013, 11:31)Binnie Wrote: if you dont mind me asking what was the TDS before and after?

The tds was slightly higher but I have put that down to the carbon in the filter as the first run through was tap water TDS 74 filtered 85, second run through tap water TDS 73 filtered water 74.
The instructions on the filter candle said to run it through twice before using,but all I can say is the water taste great.
Hope this helps.