Poll: Do you think you have prepared enough?
Yes, I am fully prepared
Yes, I'm prepared enough but still adding
No, I am nearly there
No, I'm a long way away
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do you think you have prepared enough?
21 September 2011, 15:21,
RE: Do you think you have prepared enough?
I'm getting myself confused.
I started with assembling for a B.o.B. with the strategy of bugging out to a remote but unidentified location with the possibly of period under the stars. As I went on stocking up using the list on this website with some minor mods of my own the volume grew to the point where it became impractical for back-packing and needed a vehicle. I changed my car to a more robust off-roader with space for an overnight in the back if necessary but the more I investigate prolonged outdoor living the more a hardened remote permanent home becomes attractive. I'm now looking at moving home to a more remote location which will mean bug-in with different requirements for prepping so I'm coming to the conclusion that I need both a B.o.B. for the interim and a secondary stock of preps for when and if I'm able to move home.
I just need to find that castle with a moat in 20 acres going for peanuts.
Brian
Advice is what you seek when you know the answer but wish you didn't
21 September 2011, 18:25,
Brian,

I'm with you there. You can live out in a field in a tent but you can't live there forever. The cold will get you one winter, you won't grow enough food or you will have an accident. Living like that has always been a last resort until you get to somewhere long term. BOB and GOOD equipment are for very short term requirements.

There will be some places around after an event, perhaps not a castle, perhaps not 20 acres, but a place you can live safely and plant food. See if you can find it now. Nobody, unless they are living there, will be bothered. Ideally though you should look at moving somewhere now where you can reduce your dependence on others and prepare. To do it properly no BOB vehicle, OK, no personal vehicle, will have the space.

It is all in the planning and we need to think about it. By the sound of this you have been doing and that is more than many do. They think that by putting some stuff aside their work is done. I'm glad you are thinking beyond this. It is one thing I am trying to do by pointing things out that people may not consider.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
22 September 2011, 23:59,
you need an A,B,C and D plan the more you think and work out the more you realise there is more problems to solve with harder answers ?
makes being a raider an easy choice.
but then again easy is no fun lol.
to win the war, you must be willing to die
23 September 2011, 19:24,
Grumpy,

I'm with you there but why stop at D when there are so many other interesting letters.

The only problem is that most of us have enough problems financing an A never mind he rest of them. We need to try and spread the risk, not just one cache, somewhere you can leave and return and so on. It is not easy and even with all your planning and scrimping you can easily be left with nothing with one bit of bad luck such as someone shooting you because they don't like the look of you.

You cannot cover every eventuality. You just have to cover as much as you can and be adaptable.
Skean Dhude
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
28 September 2011, 15:37,
I have several sites under consideration and hope to come to a decision as to which one to go for. When I have made the final decision, I will set up a secret garden nearby, and grow Vegetables and Herbs therein. I used to do this in the south of England when I was in my twenties. Grow pockets of vegetables wherever you can conceal them, preferably where people do not often go. I am looking at places which aren't used often. Odd peices of land unused by farmer or walker. Kenneth Eames.
1 October 2011, 10:52,
I have preps and I am constantly adding to them. I dont think there ever is a time when you can say ''I am now fully prepped'', because you cannot cover every eventuality unless you have the money of Bill Gates.

However, a lot depends on what your perceived scenarios are about. If it is only one or two minor things, then perhaps you can cover it.

Then again, if the event is a cataclysmic one, ie: A bloody great asteroid ploughing into the Earth, then no amount of prepping will save you.

Prepping is all about Risk Assessment.
British by birth, English by the grace of God.

Every morning, I wake up and thank God I am an Englishman!
17 October 2011, 05:25,
It is almost impossible to prepare for every eventuality. Clothes will wear out, utensils will break and many other problems will arise. It is then that we will have to create these items ourselves. We will have to make clothes out of nettles and wool and with the tools that we have with us, we will have to mend broken utensils and a thousand and one other things. Apart from doing those things, we will still have to feed the family. It will be very hard as we have been brought up soft. It is time to practice now. Kenneth Eames.
19 October 2011, 06:11,
One of the things I have started to collect in case of an event are Glasses. No..not the drinking kind! The seeing kind.
My eyes a pretty damn good at the moment but it's highly likely that they will deteriorate over time and one of the skills I don't have is that of being able to make lenses.
I usualy buy the ready to wear ones from pharmacies and garages, I have them in varying degrees of strength, I hope I never have to use them but it's very likely that I will if I live into my old age after an event.
Imagine your eyes going even a little blurry, the implications are massive, and not in a good way.
There's no Justice, There's Just Us.

19 October 2011, 08:07,
(19 October 2011, 06:11)Reality Jones Wrote: One of the things I have started to collect in case of an event are Glasses. No..not the drinking kind! The seeing kind.
My eyes a pretty damn good at the moment but it's highly likely that they will deteriorate over time and one of the skills I don't have is that of being able to make lenses.
I usualy buy the ready to wear ones from pharmacies and garages, I have them in varying degrees of strength, I hope I never have to use them but it's very likely that I will if I live into my old age after an event.
Imagine your eyes going even a little blurry, the implications are massive, and not in a good way.

You brought up a good subject here and it one that many overlook. I have made plans for this but in a slightly different way. I keep all of my reading glasses, I have several scattered around the home and a spare set at work and one pair in my work bag. When my eyes change prescription, I then slowly change the glasses over.

I have also factored-in that when I retire as long as TEOTWAWKI has'nt happened I will be having my eyes corrected by laser surgery. Hopefully this will then extend the useage of my eyes till death do us part.

I also intend to do the same with my teeth in having artificial ones permanently implanted.

British by birth, English by the grace of God.

Every morning, I wake up and thank God I am an Englishman!
19 October 2011, 10:16,
(19 October 2011, 08:07)Dana Wrote: I also intend to do the same with my teeth in having artificial ones permanently implanted.

Dana,

I've an article coming upon teeth where I suggest that as an option and I've already done an article on reading glasses. At £1 to £3 per generic pair they will be handy for us as well as for barter. Get a few.

Skean Dhude