Poll: Do you think you have prepared enough?
Yes, I am fully prepared
Yes, I'm prepared enough but still adding
No, I am nearly there
No, I'm a long way away
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do you think you have prepared enough?
19 October 2011, 11:27,
RE: Do you think you have prepared enough?
There are two problems with laser correction
1] It that it trades far-sight for near-sight.
As we age the fluid in our eyes dry out making it harder for our eye muscles to deform the shape of the eyeball and change the focal length. You can trade far/near focus but as you age you will continue to loose near-sightedness. Eventually even with laser correction you will need glasses, all you are doing is deciding whether you need reading glasses or 'all the time' glasses. Unfortunately the trade-off you make when you are middle aged might leave you worse-off in old age than if you'd not had 'correction'
2] I've heard horror stories of the scars left by laser surgery messing up peoples night vision. During the day they can see fine but in low light levels with low light sources (like driving lights) the laser recepient can see the scars from the surgery and it compromises their vision.

As for dental work, what material are the artificial teeth made of that are longer lasting than our natural teeth? Ceramic won't last a lifetime, a gold alloy might but I don't want someone to mug me and decide to steal all my teeth!
Doctor Prepper: What's the worst that could happen?
19 October 2011, 20:47,
Steel teeth like Jaws and the Russians use. I've heard of wooden teeth. All you want is to ensure that the teeth can be screwed onto pegs and you can change them at will. Ceramic now with a few replacements and then steel for longer term. A new version called Plug and Chew.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
20 October 2011, 05:58,
I think I'll just rely on the teeth I have. if they eventualy fall out or wear down then so be it.

Unlike our ancient ancestors we have the tools to cut food down in to small edible pieces and this negates the need to bite and tear our food, although I know that chewing breaks the food down and means we ingest more of the protiens and fats that our body needs . It's also worth remembering that over time your gums will become harder so you will have some chewing ability.

Its not perfect but for me it beats screwing a wooden set in, and after an event I may be lucky enough to find a pair of dentures on some old cadaver that sort of fit me!
There's no Justice, There's Just Us.

20 October 2011, 10:41,
waste not want not?
to win the war, you must be willing to die
20 October 2011, 17:28,
And as long as they haven't got spinach stuck in them as well!
There's no Justice, There's Just Us.

21 October 2011, 00:13,
spinach is the deal breaker would soon just suck my food
to win the war, you must be willing to die
27 June 2012, 07:23,
i can just imagine a deer smoothie o.O
1 July 2012, 15:23,
I love the fact that not a single person voted "fully ready", speaks volumes about the survivalist mentality
1 July 2012, 23:36,
(1 July 2012, 15:23)HunterNurturer Wrote: I love the fact that not a single person voted "fully ready", speaks volumes about the survivalist mentality

i dont think there really is such a thing as fully ready, wether thats the survivalist mentality or just me im not sure Tongue......even if i had a bunker with underground gardens and nuclear power and all manner of other things i dont think i would be ready yet, it doesnt matter how much you know or how much you've prepared, theres always always more to learn and prepare.

also i think that the fact no one voted fully ready does show we got alot of great survivalists and prepper on this lovely forum ^^
1 July 2012, 23:43,
when is enough, enough. The more i get the more i need. more knives, more bug out bags, bivis, tents, stoves, and thats before comming to food and water