Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Roof
22 August 2014, 08:18,
RE: New Roof
my uncle had a chalet with a metal roof, it was very noisy in the rain, I wonder if yours will be the same??Big Grin
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
22 August 2014, 10:14,
(22 August 2014, 08:18)bigpaul Wrote: my uncle had a chalet with a metal roof, it was very noisy in the rain, I wonder if yours will be the same??Big Grin

Not sure what LS has, but the noise problem is usually more of a problem on the single skin steel roofs, these days unless you are talking about an agricultural building, composite panels are generally used which consists of 2 layers of steel with a PU foam insulation sandwiched between them, this deadens noise, improves insulation and helps reduce condensation which can be a big issue for metal roofs - hence the tyvek which also acts as vapour layer to protect against condensation.
22 August 2014, 10:24,
yep, I was talking about in the 60s and yes it was a single skin roof on top of a wooden seaside weekend chalet(Croyde).
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
22 August 2014, 10:42,
(22 August 2014, 10:24)bigpaul Wrote: yep, I was talking about in the 60s and yes it was a single skin roof on top of a wooden seaside weekend chalet(Croyde).

Our old barn was like that and the noise produced during a hail storm was truly amazing!!!
22 August 2014, 11:45,
(22 August 2014, 10:42)Devonian Wrote: Our old barn was like that and the noise produced during a hail storm was truly amazing!!!

yeah tell me about it, 3 kids trying to sleep in bunk beds during a howling gale and heavy rain aint much fun!!!
23 August 2014, 00:21,
My roof is a single skin, over a Tyvek vapour barrier.

Roof pitch is 45 degrees.

Rainfall is marginally noisier than with the clay tile roof that it replaced.

I think that the pitch of the roof has some bearing on the noise generated by falling rain.

The most common comment we get is that people have heard that metal roofs are deafeningly noisy when it rains. To date this appears to be an urban myth.

time will tell I suppose.
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580