Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Replacing Maps.
6 August 2014, 13:38,
Replacing Maps.
I have just replaced the map book I carry in my GHB. It was a couple of years old so I figured it needed replacing. Things change, highways move byways disappear under housing developments and new roads are built and I don't want to be caught out.
When was the last time you checked your maps to see how old they are and how relevant the info still is.

Sailing away, not close to the wind.Heart
8 August 2014, 11:12,
RE: Replacing Maps.
Good point TOF

Many of my maps are 20 years old or more!

And many are or places that I no longer visit:-(

Primary large scale local maps are up to date though.
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

8 August 2014, 21:28,
I don't think they change that much. I've maps from 20 years ago for my local area and except the new housing estates they are still good enough and there is only a few of those. Go to your local estate agent and get some maps for the new estates and you are made.

Make some comments or drawings for any new bypasses, motorways etc. if you need to.

Hills, streams, rivers, main roads. They are pretty much the same for 50 years plus.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
8 August 2014, 21:34,
Meant to add.

In saying that if you live near or intend to travel through an area where there has been major infrastructure changes then you need to update your maps.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
8 August 2014, 23:21,
Agree on the local maps, probably like most I know my local area without maps anyway. The one replaced is the map book of Great Britain I have in my bag to get me home from unfamiliar places. It would be just my luck to head off and come upon a stonking great industrial estate where once there was a tow path.

Sailing away, not close to the wind.Heart
9 August 2014, 00:48,
With so many backcountry users in the US relying on GPS and related applications, I am always reminding people that they must still learn how to use a map and compass, the "old fashioned way" in case the battery on their electronic device quits, or an enemy takes out the navigation satellites.

Orienteering is a great sport and is good training. Up to date maps are available in the US from the Geological Survey office, and local area maps can often be downloaded from the county surveyor's office or agricultural cooperative extension service.

When I was in public works, our fleet vehicles contained Trible navigation equipment which was used to field verify the street centerline data on the County's Arcview GIS website, and the location of every lamp post, storm drain, manhole cover, fire hydrant, etc. was constantly being revised. Public safety layering of data would alert first responders to "locations of interest" where police had previously responded, and would note elderly or special needs residents, non-English speaking, businesses with hazardous use permits, type, quantity and location of hazardous or flammable materials stored onsite, etc.

73 de KE4SKY
In
"Almost Heaven" West Virginia
USA