Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
spread your seed...
16 September 2014, 12:14,
spread your seed...
dont buy seed says green boffin.

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/...ving-seeds
Survive the jive (youtube )
16 September 2014, 15:21, (This post was last modified: 16 September 2014, 15:25 by Skean Dhude.)
RE: spread your seed...
Already do but I buy fresh seed every year anyway. Could be worth significantly more than its weight in gold.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
16 September 2014, 15:43,
I already save seed, but also buy plenty in each year as many things I grow can readily cross pollinate and without the right facilities to control pollination you can soon loose a particular variety, I do try and stay away from F1 varieties if I can.
16 September 2014, 15:46,
Good post sunna .....done this for years , when I moved to the cottage thirty years odd ago a local gardener gave me some seeds ..runner beans ...his father started the chain in the thirties so he said , I am still saving the seeds . My father in law always saved seeds from everything he could....I miss him .
16 September 2014, 20:46,
I think it pays to buy in new seed every so often, just to keep things fresh. There is always the possibility of perpetuating weakness by saving the same things year after year (incest! Gasp!) Having said that, I always save the seed of my favourite tomatoes because they are quite expensive to buy, if you can find them.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
16 September 2014, 23:47,
i planted plumb toms this year from seed they failed to show , if i bought some would their seed be ok.
Survive the jive (youtube )
17 September 2014, 07:14,
Surprised that your tom seeds failed Sunna, they are usually pretty good at coming up, may have been some thing else such as too dry or too wet or something in your compost, other than that its making sure that the seed is completely dry before storing or they can be damaged by molds.