Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wind Turbines
17 September 2014, 19:56,
Wind Turbines
O.K., Chaps, I think it's time I ramped things up a bit on the home power front. Has anyone on the Forum got any experience with those little wind turbines? Not the monstrosities that keep collapsing - the little ones you see on farms. I would like to find out about costs; capacities and practicalities. Any info gratefully received.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
17 September 2014, 20:23,
RE: Wind Turbines
See if this helps:

http://www.energysavingtrust.org.uk/Gene...d-turbines

Just remember that sometimes the wind may not blow for a couple of weeks (not often admittedly), but with solar there is light every day.
17 September 2014, 21:48,
Mary, a few of us have been actively investigating VAWTs especially this model as its so compact and rugged.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/12v-le-v50-ver...tAodKwsAWQ

18 September 2014, 19:07,
(17 September 2014, 21:48)NorthernRaider Wrote: Mary, a few of us have been actively investigating VAWTs especially this model as its so compact and rugged.

Without meaning to kidnap this thread and derail it, wouldn't it be possible to put that on a horizontal axis and use it for water?
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
18 September 2014, 20:26,
I doubt it, if you look at even quite small water turbines or Archimedes screw turbines they are much heavier duty in construction than wind turbines. Wind turbines only have to contend with moving air, but water turbines are driven by moving water and water weighs 10 lbs a gallon. most water turbines are usually advised to have at least a 2 meter to 3 meter drop to provide enough energy of water to spin the water wheel. Basically they aint solid enough Smile

On the other hand I have seen images of home made water turbines being used to drive 12 volt alternators charging batteries.

19 September 2014, 12:22,
These things spin quite fast in the wind and I doubt water would flow fast enough unless it was falling through the air. That makes quite an impact. I would guess that all you would need to do is reinforce and extend the blades and shaft and make the generator part more waterproof. How you would reinforce the blades is the problem.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
19 September 2014, 12:24,
(17 September 2014, 21:48)NorthernRaider Wrote: Mary, a few of us have been actively investigating VAWTs especially this model as its so compact and rugged.

Just out of curiosity, what is it that you are hoping to possibly use these for, looking at the power output graphs, the power generated looks quite small, particularly under normal wind conditions and when compared with solar panels they are also pretty expensive.

I like the discrete design and I can see how people would easily walk past it, not realising what it is, and also subject to the right wind conditions, it will work 24 hrs a day.
19 September 2014, 12:33,
I'm not sure if it still applies but at one time you could buy a micro wind turbine at B & Q!! friend in somerset who lives in a straw bale house uses one and a very small solar panel..literally 1 panel...and that powers her computer, tv and a few lights...all she needs really.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
19 September 2014, 12:35, (This post was last modified: 19 September 2014, 12:36 by NorthernRaider.)
Dev most users are simply going the belt and braces approach I think, by using both solar and wind they double up their chances of a reliable back up energy source. once the sun goes down the PV panels stop working, but if there is a bit of a breeze overnight the VAWT will keep topping up your batteries for the breakfast time peak demand. From what I can find out folks like the British Geological people use them as do many boat users, coast guards, remote youth hostels etc. And some folks have cottoned onto to the fact that a lot of modern houses that only have a gap of about 4 foot tween them and their neighbours find it creates a bit of a venturi effect and it creates a bit of a useful breeze...... so they harvest it. Obviously in the UK the further north you get the less sunshine you get over the year, but it also tends to be windier as compensation.

BP, B & Q stopped selling them but Maplins still do em and they do the VAWTs as well.

19 September 2014, 13:49,
(19 September 2014, 12:35)NorthernRaider Wrote: Dev most users are simply going the belt and braces approach I think, by using both solar and wind they double up their chances of a reliable back up energy source. once the sun goes down the PV panels stop working, but if there is a bit of a breeze overnight the VAWT will keep topping up your batteries for the breakfast time peak demand. From what I can find out folks like the British Geological people use them as do many boat users, coast guards, remote youth hostels etc. And some folks have cottoned onto to the fact that a lot of modern houses that only have a gap of about 4 foot tween them and their neighbours find it creates a bit of a venturi effect and it creates a bit of a useful breeze...... so they harvest it. Obviously in the UK the further north you get the less sunshine you get over the year, but it also tends to be windier as compensation.

OK, that makes more sense to me, thanks!