Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chimney rain hat
24 September 2014, 05:23,
Chimney rain hat
Our main chimney is a big old brute. It was built in the days of permanently running wood burning stoves, it is big enough to walk into.

But we no longer burn wood every day, and therein lies a problem: That big aperture also lets rain in. Rain that in the past was instantly turned to steam, but which now accumulates at its base, making the building core damp and the lover level of the chimney cold and humid.

Over the past year we have occasionally had problems firing up the stove. Problems of combustion fumes flooding the room rather than being sucked up the chimney. Straightshooter and Mrs Straightshooter have been very supportive in offering solutions to this. ( Thanks mate). It was noticeable that if the fire was lit while the chimney system was still warm, chimney draw was fine, but when the chimney went cold the problems started again. The solution appeared to be the installation of a chimney liner.... In our case this will be costly and awkward.

We'd noticed a lot of farm houses around here have rain hats on their chimneys, so thought we'd try with one of those first.... and its been a revelation. The chimney base has dried out, walls are no longer damp and most importantly the stove lights cleanly first time, every time. My thinking is that previously cold, humid air ( heavy) was pooling at the chimney base and presenting a pressure barrier to the fire-up combustion fumes, that were forced to follow path of lower resistance to escape, and that meant through the hot plate into the room.

So two problems cured in a single swipe. Cost was approx. £100. A whole lot cheaper than a new chimney liner...
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

24 September 2014, 08:56,
RE: Chimney rain hat
We suffered exactly the same problem with rain getting down the chimney to a point the top of the stove was going rusty and puddles of water were forming on the hearth, it was compounded by a never ending stream of suicidal birds falling down the chimney so in June we fitted a cowl / rain hat and it has not only stopped the rain and kamikaze birds but it appears to be acting like a venture as well and increasing the "draw" on the chimney as well so the stove burns even better now.

24 September 2014, 09:39,
when I was in the building trade and managing a maintenance firm we were always replacing these things and I think they were referred to as a chimney "cowl".
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
24 September 2014, 16:44,
Great news LS ....glad you sorted the bugger out ! . Will contact you soon ....been busy busy pal.
24 September 2014, 19:49,
I had one at my last house, the fumes from burning logs rotted the aluminium rivets and the top fell off. Stainless steel rivets sorted it out.
29 September 2014, 20:53,
NR: Yes there is increased draw from the chimney. I put this down to the inside of the chimney not being filled with cold damp air.

Steve: Thanks for the feedback. I think mine are riveted with steel rivets but I'll check.
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580