Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
One hour of electricity per day
28 September 2014, 12:30,
One hour of electricity per day
I saw this scenario on other prepper forum, having coincidentally used the same question in a workshop I gave my colleagues about thinking outside the box.

Scenario: there is an electricity shortage, so the government decrees that each household will only receive one hour of electricity per day.
Question: how would you use that one hour of electricity?
28 September 2014, 12:33,
RE: One hour of electricity per day
Run the fridge and freezers at maximum settings, use pumps to fill every water container, do the laundry, hoover.

28 September 2014, 13:07,
As NR says, plus cooking and baking. Basically have everything ready and prepped waiting to flick the switch.

But if everyone did that in such a short time period, I'd have to wonder if the local transformers/switchgear could cope???

However realistically I think its more likely to be the other way around whereas we are told that for say 6 or 8 hours there will be no electricity.
28 September 2014, 13:17,
its called scheduled power cuts and we've had them before in the UK in the 1970s, I think it was something to do with oil and the OPEC.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
28 September 2014, 17:04,
What would you do if the hour of electricity you were allowed was between 2pm and 3pm while you were at work?
28 September 2014, 17:09,
fit a plug in time switch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
28 September 2014, 17:12, (This post was last modified: 28 September 2014, 17:13 by Devonian.)
(28 September 2014, 17:09)bigpaul Wrote: fit a plug in time switch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But the switch (timer) won't until the leccy is turned on!!

(28 September 2014, 17:04)Mortblanc Wrote: What would you do if the hour of electricity you were allowed was between 2pm and 3pm while you were at work?

No electric, no work........
28 September 2014, 17:25,
(28 September 2014, 17:12)Devonian Wrote:
(28 September 2014, 17:09)bigpaul Wrote: fit a plug in time switch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

that's right, if you are told it will be on from 2 to 3pm you set the timer for that time.....simples.
28 September 2014, 17:26, (This post was last modified: 28 September 2014, 17:28 by Devonian.)
(28 September 2014, 17:25)bigpaul Wrote:
(28 September 2014, 17:12)Devonian Wrote:

that's right, if you are told it will be on from 2 to 3pm you set the timer for that time.....simples.

But you don't need a timer to do that, just turn on whatever you want on, and it'll come and go off with the power.

The plug in timers, rely on there being an electric supply to it all the time, so setting a time on it, means that time will not hold or change whilst the power is off.
28 September 2014, 17:33,
(28 September 2014, 17:26)Devonian Wrote: But you don't need a timer to do that, just turn on whatever you want on, and it'll come and go off with the power.

The plug in timers, rely on there being an electric supply to it all the time, so setting a time on it, means that time will not hold or change whilst the power is off.
just talked to my better half, she says your quite right, so my mistake!!!! so like you say just switch on what you want on and it'll work when the power comes on and go off when the power is shut down.