Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Harvest
9 October 2014, 12:51,
Harvest
I thought we could start a thread on your harvests In the summer garden.
Mine has been a mixed bag.
My brassicas took a massive caterpillar hit, so no sprouts, cauliflowers or broccoli but the kale came back after the attack.

I am still getting sweet peppers in the green house and massive chillies too
A lot of my tomatoes are still turning, next year I will start them earlier.
Carrots have done well had some good size ones and some frankencarrots that look like hands. They taste great but are now under attack from snails.

So how have your gardens done?
It's not the end of the world, but you can see it from here

9 October 2014, 14:31,
RE: Harvest
Had a mixed year.first early spuds were excellent but main crop full of slug and wire worm holes.loads of tomatoes lettuce etc but I was given two cucumber plants but they were the most bitter thing we had eaten.loads of onions and shallots. Massive hit with catapillers.we can't seem to grow cauliflowers for some reason.had back surgery in June so had to slow down a bit for rest of growing season.we are experimenting with four no dig beds next year.
9 October 2014, 19:08,
All things considered...just about ok, I have to say I did not put in enough time looking after the crop,life shit kept getting in the way....and continues to.....moving poly tunnel for more light..and security ,in fact there will be a lot of changes very soon ready for the new year.
9 October 2014, 19:45,
Mixed bag for me too.

My crops were attacked by caterpillars and they clearly suffered. I tried to terminate as many as I can but next year I'm adding covers plus putting some in with the preps.

I didn't see many snails or slugs this years. One plus with the chickens as long as you keep them away from the plants as they dig them up instead. I found that letting them out into the garden a couple of hours before it went dark gave them enough time to find the easy pickings, such as slugs, but not enough time to finish exploring and start digging. Then when they go in for the night you replace the fencing.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
9 October 2014, 20:47,
We've had a good year this year. Just about everything came good. The biggest tip I can offer is to grow your brassicas in a butterfly-proof cage. My OH put one up for me at the beginning of the year and I have had zero caterpillar damage. We will be getting sprouts and greens over this winter. Yippee. We have an endless supply of horse manure so everything has been fertilised to the hilt. It has certainly paid off for us. Pity none of you are near to me - I could pass on trailerloads of the stuff.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
14 October 2014, 06:01,
We lost practically all our (small amount of) veg this year -- greens and brassicas to caterpillars and slugs, tomatoes to a torrential rain storm that washed them out of the soil. The only good thing was a self-sown loofah vine that came up that we got a few fruit off.
Oh, and all the rain and mild weather meant that everything has been overrun by mint, so no shortage of that.