Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Keeping a cockerel so not to annoy the neighbours
9 October 2014, 19:52,
Keeping a cockerel so not to annoy the neighbours
I've come across a solution that works for me.

I have a little cat box that the cockerel uses. In the evening when it is dark I bring it into the utility room. In the morning he crows as much as he likes and nobody outside the house hears him. I still can from the kitchen though and it was a bit of a shock the first few times.

He never crows after 1300. So I let him outside then and put his cat box by the hen house so he can get in at night. I then pick it up when it is dark no problem.

A couple of times I've had to go in the hen house and grab him but in the dark it is easy. Noisy though if I have to do that.

A solution that seems to work for everyone, except him of course.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
10 October 2014, 00:06,
RE: Keeping a cockerel so not to annoy the neighbours
I was thinking of vocal cord snipping...but it's illegal.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
10 October 2014, 07:00,
Very nice solution SD, Got me wondering if using a cloth cover over the cat box or putting it in a windowless roomt would delay how early the cockerel starts to crow.
10 October 2014, 09:14,
I was told that putting a sock over its head would delay crowing. I'm not sure it does but it certainly makes it so you don't notice but I don't use that. I will when TSHTF as it will make them all quieter.

I found that even when kept in the dark it still crowed at roughly the same times.

So small box, doesn't work. Dark doesn't work, removing voice box I believe is bad practice, don't know if it is illegal, and would only consider it if I had no other options.

But small box, in a room with a cover on reduces the noise to a manageable level imo. Sock on head is for when SHTF and you want to keep them really quiet for a while.
Skean Dhude
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
10 October 2014, 09:22,
I have always heard that a cockerel needs to throw his head back to crow, so keeping him in a low height hutch would stop him doing that. maybe an old country mans saying but that's what I heard.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
10 October 2014, 21:19,
You are quite right, BP, generally cockerels need to stand to crow. Keeping them in a box that does not allow them to stand up and throw their their heads back will restrict the crowing. Good way to keep your neighbours on your side.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
10 October 2014, 22:38,
(10 October 2014, 09:22)bigpaul Wrote: I have always heard that a cockerel needs to throw his head back to crow, so keeping him in a low height hutch would stop him doing that. maybe an old country mans saying but that's what I heard.

That's useful info Paul, I'd never heard that before. Thanks.
12 October 2014, 11:21,
I heard that but it doesn't work enough. The cat box is barely enough for it to stand. Not enough for it to stretch its neck but it still crows the same although it seems not as loud. Still way too loud though.
Skean Dhude
12 October 2014, 11:32,
why have you got a cockerel? if your breeding chickens for meat..OK, but you don't need a cockerel just for eggs.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.