Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
swiss mess set and the solo stove
1 November 2014, 08:23,
swiss mess set and the solo stove
Don't suppose anyone knows if a solo stove would fit in a Swiss army mess kit?
There seems to be quite a lot of room in there and it it seems like adding something like a solo stove could be a good option Smile
Winter is coming
1 November 2014, 10:49,
RE: swiss mess set and the solo stove
I really need to upgrade my rucksack cooking gear, I am still using my standard mess tins, 44 pattern mug and Hexamine cookers.

1 November 2014, 21:44,
Nice and simple set up Smile but I always hatedtge residue left on the tins from the hexi blocks
Winter is coming
2 November 2014, 10:48,
I hated the residue cos the twat sergeant who transferred in from the Guards made us sub them clean after every exercise.

3 November 2014, 11:09,
Have you tried a trangia meth stove,I have one of these its a good bit of kit
http://www.militarymart.co.uk/index.php?...ct_id=2324
Todays mighty oak is just yesterdays nut that held its ground
In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king
3 November 2014, 21:52,
Well as I understand it the Swiss mess kit was designed to be used with the trangia ideally, however Im not a huge fan of carrying flammable liquid or gas on me. Although it is something I'm considering
Winter is coming
4 November 2014, 07:43,
In defence of the Hexy strove, they're light and rugged, the blocks can be used as firelighters, and the soot will darken things. If you run out of hex you can still use the stove with twigs / grass, albeit not very easily. The water bottle stores inside the mess tin, the burner clips to the outside, and the whole lot can go on a belt. All in, a simple and reliable solution for when you need something simple and reliable.
4 November 2014, 15:40,
Carrying a bottle of wood alcohol for the stove is no different that carrying a bottle of grain alcohol for consumption.

I do not think flammability is even considered when deciding which type alcohol one would prefer in the backpack for drinking purposes.

I have trekked many a mile carrying wood alcohol for my stove in a small metal bottle placed inside a zip lock bag and have not been burned to a crisp or blown up as yet.

I also fill my Coleman Expedition stove with fuel before leaving the house and carry it in the bottom of the pack with no adverse affects. It holds enough fuel to boil 9 liters of water for reconstitution of a weekend of meals.

Of course I do not smoke and try to keep my gear out of the campfire and away from the flames as much as possible.