Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Food Fish for Preppers
6 November 2014, 11:34,
RE: Food Fish for Preppers
The problem around this part with ponds is the otters!

My parents had their pond virtually cleared of fish by the otters in one night, a couple of weeks later, their neighbours a couple of doors down suffered the same fate. Quite depressing when you the remains of the fish just scattered around the pond.

Neither are anywhere near a river etc, but apparently your average otter will travel up to 14 miles a night between its known lakes, rivers ponds etc. And once it know where there are fish, it will periodically return to each location.

So if you are anywhere near where otters may be present, and if you are planning on using open ponds, then I would suggest protecting "your food source" which would need to be something like rigid weld across the pond.
6 November 2014, 11:49,
What do otters taste like. Fish for food and bait. Dual purpose.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
6 November 2014, 12:19,
Dev sez "The problem around this part with ponds is the otters!"

I prefer Beaver myself !!!! : )

Up here its Heron that take larger fish and filthy damn domestic cats that take smaller fish, When I first got into fish keeping my neighbours cats used to spend hours stalking around my pond , they killed about 8 fish before I realised, so a well secured anti predator net was put over the top. some folks cover their ponds with diy timber frames covered in chicken wire to keep predators out.

6 November 2014, 12:32,
the only Beaver we have in Devon are on the river OTTER(near Ottery St. Mary) EAST Devon and TPTB want to remove them and stick them in a wildlife park!! excuse is they might have some disease...but isn't that always the excuse?
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
6 November 2014, 12:52,
(6 November 2014, 11:49)Skean Dhude Wrote: What do otters taste like. Fish for food and bait. Dual purpose.

Not sure, but they are fast and vicious little buggers if you are trying to catch them Smile

(6 November 2014, 12:19)NorthernRaider Wrote: I prefer Beaver myself !!!! : )

That's not what I've heard Big Grin

(6 November 2014, 12:19)NorthernRaider Wrote: Up here its Heron that take larger fish and filthy damn domestic cats that take smaller fish, When I first got into fish keeping my neighbours cats used to spend hours stalking around my pond , they killed about 8 fish before I realised, so a well secured anti predator net was put over the top. some folks cover their ponds with diy timber frames covered in chicken wire to keep predators out.

Used to see a lot of herons when I was younger, but there do not seem to be many around this area these days.
6 November 2014, 14:06,
Devonian
NorthernRaider Wrote:
[Up here its Heron that take larger fish and filthy damn domestic cats that take smaller fish, When I first got into fish keeping my neighbours cats used to spend hours stalking around my pond , they killed about 8 fish before I realised, so a well secured anti predator net was put over the top. some folks cover their ponds with diy timber frames covered in chicken wire to keep predators out.]

Used to see a lot of herons when I was younger, but there do not seem to be many around this area these days.

Otters ate em all Smile

6 November 2014, 14:14,
plenty of Herons on the Somerset Levels.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
7 November 2014, 07:34,
As a bonus, when you've dug your pond you can keep ducks and geese too.
7 November 2014, 10:09,
Tilapia are popular in aquaponics Australia too, as well as various local freshwater species from northern climes.
Apparently a lot of the tilapia eaten in America now comes from southern China, but the Chinese I know refuse to eat it, and only eat the oceanic fish if they can afford it.

Carp are also very popular in my part of China, with the local reservoirs and canals full of them. In fact, its pretty common to see dodgy looking dudes hanging about the stinking scum-covered canals with fishing nets, waiting for foot traffic to die down to get into some illegal fishing.

I've actually got a few of the local parks that I know stock koi in their water features on my emergency food source map.