Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Weather snippet
11 November 2014, 22:51,
Weather snippet
I’m not one for reacting to the tabloid weather disaster stories but I thought I would share this primarily because the Met Office recently spent a few hundred million on a new computer system that is supposed to be much more accurate than all other previous systems. In fact many of you may have noticed the Met office stop doing long range forcasts a few years ago because thy got it so badly wrong just far to often. Sooooooo chaps if this new system is any better we MAY soon be in for some crap weather.

FYI if this cautionary waning comes true then surely energy demands will rocket and we are all already aware the UK currently has power gen problems.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/nature/534...lar-vortex

12 November 2014, 00:17, (This post was last modified: 12 November 2014, 02:03 by Devonian.)
RE: Weather snippet
Why is it that every time there is a forecast of weather doom and gloom, they are ALWAYS without exception associated with James Madden?

The met office made an announce yesterday (I think) saying that between now and the new year there would be a succession of storm fronts crossing the Atlantic, and hitting the UK and that these would bring wet and windy weather, but that temperatures would remain warm (for the time of year), but that in the new year colder snaps can be expected (Really!!).

So once again no comparison between James Madden and the Met Office.

So whenever I see his name, I just tend to ignore the article completely, he's been at it for years, but I suppose one day he may get it right.........

As for the new Met Office Cray SuperComputer, the announcement was that they had placed an order, it will be another 3 or 4 years before it even gets installed, then they will have to calibrate it and get it working their software etc, which could take how long???
12 November 2014, 00:51,
good post dev.

this repeat mad weather warnings do us no good for our prepping for winter and its not as if this is the first time this has happned , its every year and by the same papers.
Survive the jive (youtube )
12 November 2014, 09:18,
A Who is James Madden
B I thought the new Met Computer was up and running ?

12 November 2014, 09:25,
well i am hoping for snow .....i want to sell a bitchy 2.8 .
12 November 2014, 09:39,
Just double checked Dev is right, the new computer wont be up and running for another year, so we need to rely on Michael Fish a bit longer Smile

12 November 2014, 09:50,
I wouldn't rely on anything you read in the express, they are FIXATED on the weather.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
12 November 2014, 10:18,
This is ENGLAND we are supposed to be fixated on the weather Smile Smile Smile Smile

12 November 2014, 11:48,
(12 November 2014, 09:18)NorthernRaider Wrote: A Who is James Madden
B I thought the new Met Computer was up and running ?

A/ James Madden is the guy referenced throughout the article you provided a link to. He is the so called meteorologist behind http://www.exactaweather.com and the person almost exclusively responsible for feeding all these stories to the tabloids.

B/ The first phase of the supercomputer will be operational in September 2015 and the system will reach full capacity in 2017. http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/news/release...14/new-hpc
12 November 2014, 14:29,
I do a weather forecast every time I go out the front door and mine is more accurate than any weather forecaster, I can even SMELL rain and I can tell when snow is coming, I couldn't do that when I lived in a city, too much pollution.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.