Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dimmable torches
16 November 2014, 19:56,
Dimmable torches
I've seen many posts about the latest, greatest, brightest torches - and some of them are really powerful - but many times you only need a dim light on the path in front of you, just enough to see where you're walking, not bright enough to spook every rabbit for 3 miles and attract attention from every busybody in the neighbourhood.

I have a dimmable LED lantern which almost fits the bill, it can be turned down quite low, but loses points because it cannot be turned up into a bright beam on demand, and secondly it required card taped around it to stop it shining out in directions it's not needed. Like all LEDs, when turned down past a certain point it abruptly switches off, so a torch with both low and high power capabilities will probably have at least two different types of LEDs.

Has anyone seem something suitable ?
16 November 2014, 21:02,
RE: Dimmable torches
I converted a Maglite AA halogen torch to Led....was underwhelmed to say the least with it's performance at first but I've grown to love it now because of its soft yellow glow and fantasic endurance on one set of batteries, initially I just put it in the glove box of the car but now I use it for most stuff.
Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool!!!!
16 November 2014, 21:09,
The Fenix E99 TI Cree Torch that I recently posted about is not dimmable, but it does has three settings and the first and lowest setting is a mere 4 lumens which is still enough to illuminate the ground in front of you whilst walking around in the pitch black, then if you need more light, just twist the end once or twice to go to the second or third light settings.

But this is a 'small' torch, I guess you may be looking for something bigger??

http://forum.survivaluk.net/showthread.php?tid=7233
16 November 2014, 22:32,
I bought a few led torches from What £2,99 on offer.... couple of settings , great for the money they do the job, but i have a few others ...wind up types...no settings though.