Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Diesel
22 November 2014, 18:50,
Diesel
OK, so I've been a dumbass and not rotated all of my fuel stocks, I have a rogue jerry can of Diesel which is probably about 3 years old.

So the question is how do I know if this is still good to use?

Looking at it, it is still clear and there no signs of any growths or anything, so still 'looks' ok to me, but is there a way to test it? or if it is 'off' does the colour change or go cloudy??

Be useful to know for after an event as well if you have to scavenge fuel....
22 November 2014, 18:55,
RE: Diesel
what sort of car are you going to put it in ,if its old you will be ok ,just and a pint of petrol to it ,if its a new car don't do it
just read alas Babylon ,so im going to get more salt!!!!
22 November 2014, 19:06,
An 03 Defender - it does have an ECU....
22 November 2014, 19:10,
divide it up into a small part of the newer batches.....at work we have back up generators that are only fired up once a month for 20 minutes as a test and some of those tanks haven't been filled/topped up for over 20 years.
Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool!!!!
22 November 2014, 19:13,
lovely motor them td5 engine ,I would not for the sake of a £20.00 ,can you use the diesel for something else
22 November 2014, 19:39, (This post was last modified: 22 November 2014, 19:40 by Devonian.)
(22 November 2014, 19:13)Barneyboy Wrote: lovely motor them td5 engine ,I would not for the sake of a £20.00 ,

Thanks and yes despite what some think, it always puts a smile on your face when driving it.

(22 November 2014, 19:13)Barneyboy Wrote: can you use the diesel for something else

Could stick in the work's mini Wink

So what actually happens to diesel when it goes off?
22 November 2014, 19:49,
In older cars ,you can run them on any thing ,but the newer car have sensors to check the fuel ,the new pumps don't like change,so it could cause a prob just not worth it .but yes you could mix it with new fuel
22 November 2014, 19:58, (This post was last modified: 22 November 2014, 20:01 by NorthernRaider.)
cloudy / milky or black slimy bits is anaerobic bacteria which can clog fuel filters, a drop of gasoline or acetone in the jerry can should help the cetane level. or you can simply blend it 50 n/50 with fresh diesel. crap diesel may also show signs of lacquering eg a hard varnish like coating on the sides of the fuel can.

Fuel stored in sealed containers like good quality jerry cans ( with NATO spec coated insides) should not be able to absorb moisture or air so any growth will be anaerobic and less messy than aerobic fungus mould, diesel is not as refined as petrol and has less volatile organic compounds to settle out or evaporate, I would just mix it with fresh diesel.

23 November 2014, 09:50,
if you are in any doubt I would ditch it, you don't want to bugger up your engine, its not like its post SHTF and you don't have access to fresh stuff.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
23 November 2014, 15:50,
as already covered, if it was me.....and i have....mix it with fresh half and half i had NO problems , i change my stock of fuel ever year ...eighteen months max, i know it can be a pain but get into the routine and it will work dev.