Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vacuum Packers
4 December 2014, 17:21,
Vacuum Packers
Has anyone in the UK community had any experience with these devices for extending the storage life of foods like flour, rice, dried veg, pasta, grain etc please?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i...Caps%2C306

4 December 2014, 17:28,
RE: Vacuum Packers
I've got one. It seems very good for keeping things fresh. Gets rid of the air, keeps out the water and reduces size. I have several items packed away besides food as well. Blankets, clothes, etc.

Fresh food last longer as well. Items that go off in a few days last over a week. Depends on what it is but not found anything yet it doesn't improve the storage of.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
4 December 2014, 18:50,
I got an Andrew James vacuum sealer, it seems pretty good, I did some bricks of instant coffee and 12 gauge ammo with it. You have to be careful with anything with corners, even the slightly angular shape of shotgun cartridges can be an issue. Also the sealed packages of whatever should be handled carefully, as they can easily un-seal. I'd like to see if it works well with mylar bags.
Woe to those who add house to house and join field to field, Until there is no more room, So that you have to live alone in the midst of the land!
Isaiah 5:8
4 December 2014, 19:21,
I agree about the square corners. It creates air pockets as well.

I've not had anything becoming unsealed. Holed maybe but never the seal breaking.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin