Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How To Start A 1-Acre Self-Sustaining Homestead
11 December 2014, 21:04,
RE: How To Start A 1-Acre Self-Sustaining Homestead
I thinnk you're right there, Steve - in fact it is a bit of a storybook article (rather unrelated to realities).
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
11 December 2014, 22:36,
The saying goes " An acre and a half for a cow and her calf ", and that's pushing it.
11 December 2014, 23:01,
I cede to you guys wisdom, goats sound useful.

12 December 2014, 05:22,
That plan might work on flat land, with good soil and dependable rainfall, wiith good crop rotation ans oil conservation practices. But here in the West Virginia mountains, Civil War veterans who were discharged to receive 40 acres and a mule could feed their families only with difficulty. During the Depression of the 1930s many left, and during WW2 many more did to take factory jobs up north.

The hippies land and back to the lan crowd tried again in 70s and by the time they grew too old to work the land, they gave up. My expectations are a bit more realistic with a modest pension, some savings, stored preps, a garden and a few acres in the country where I can enjoy a good trout stream within walkng distance and do some rough shooting for small game and deer during the fall season, which is the legal pratice here. State game lands are accessible to licensed hunters and I get invited to assist with a deer cull on a large commercial orchard of 10,000 acres nearby, and am allowed to keep deer I kill to the number the tags which come with the license.

73 de KE4SKY
In
"Almost Heaven" West Virginia
USA
12 December 2014, 07:22,
i think like most books its a starting point and you take from it or develop it depending on your needs and situation is
Ready for Anything
http://autonopedia.org/
12 December 2014, 09:58,
the original book was "of its time", and farming students were always taught its an acre per cow.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
12 December 2014, 11:57,
I do see where the article is coming from though, having access to fresh milk and Dairy products is an absolute bonus if you can keep and feed the beasts.