Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
knife making
17 December 2014, 22:04,
knife making
Here's a link to very rudimentary knife making instructions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzGbwT4qVw0

Mors is the Man!

Mors is Canadian so you fellows can watch him without fear of damage to your retinas from looking at an American.

One can take the basic knowledge and upsize the finished product, change the blade material or use substitute machinery. I have turned out similar knives using nothing but an angle grinder and drill gun.
18 December 2014, 11:18,
RE: knife making
Good video Mort, and very insightful.
22 December 2014, 04:59,
I am still using butchering knives which my grandfather forged from discarded files, old Model A Ford leaf springs, etc. I search yard and barn sales for old hand made tools, spades, axes, brush hooks, Peevey tools, froes and other barn building, logging or farming tools. I figure if they have lasted 80-100 years r morw, they are better than most Made In China sold at Home Depot, Lowes or Walmart!

73 de KE4SKY
In
"Almost Heaven" West Virginia
USA
8 January 2016, 22:01,
I wish some of our old craftsmen could be given a venue to teach their skills to youngsters, perhaps unemployed school leavers.
8 January 2016, 23:34,
Really enjoyed that ! MB ....any more ?.....must be Canadian ! lol
9 January 2016, 09:21,
All good stuff, really like Mors kochanski, I've got a number of his videos and there all done in the same way, rough and ready, warts and all just the sort of stuff I like to watch.
This is a good demo on making a basic survival knife though personally I think it is well worth having a little basic blacksmithing knowledge as the metal would have been a lot easier to work if it had been normalised and you would get a finer edge once hardened and tempered.
9 January 2016, 22:11,
After reading Charles post yesterday got me thinking....and looking today......and finally found a leaf spring off ...i think ..and old ford Anglia ....any advice on working this metal would be great anyone have any knowledge ?
9 January 2016, 22:54,
SS an old leaf spring should be pretty good carbon steel and you can make a very substantial blade from it, I've only ever used them to make things like froes for splitting wood. What is your intention to make a knife similar to Mors by marking the shape you want and cutting it out by what ever means or have a go at some basic blacksmithing and hand forge a blade?
10 January 2016, 10:49,
There is a YouTube on making knives out of leaf springs.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
10 January 2016, 11:10,
01 tool steel is not too expensive, especially compared to the amount of time you put into making a good knife. As the composition is known, all the hardening and tempering information is available. 01 steel is used by top knife makers.