Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Camo Bag/Gear Reassessment
18 January 2015, 16:00,
Camo Bag/Gear Reassessment
Hello Everyone

I'm pretty new here. HAHA, I'm kidding. Really feel like I'm new though, it's been that long.

Yesterday I completed a small 12 mile walk. Car is in the garage and I wanted to have some fun at the farm I shoot at, so I caught a lift of my lovely wife and walked back 4 hours later.

What does this have to do with camo gear and camo bags? A little and a lot.

First off, I love the camo. If you're into hunting and can't be bothered with putting up hides and the alike, camo is your friend. However, if you're walking along 12 miles of roads, camouflage gear will make you...look odd. Which is very true is you're all geared up. Personally I had a cheap backpack on yesterday and had weird blue EL lights over it, which acted as a warning beacon, and made me look like an extra in Tron. Nerd cool, and also nerd-sad. My life hasn't improved :-( haha

Anyway, the more you consider the route you're travelling on and how you intend to travel, WTSHTF or post SHTF, there is a lot more to think about. From work, I'll be travelling nearly entirely rural/agri-land/woodland, as that route has been mapped out. So gearing up full camo won't make me look too weird. In this instance it'll be a positive.

However, if I tried to wear all that and trek back from the farm along the route I did.....haha, look at that wannabe army reject haha. Stand out a mile away if there's a lot of people about.

It's for this reason that I'm looking into multi-cam waterproof bag covers. You know the kind that wrap up small, like a mac-in-a-pac style things? This allows for a more 'casual' look to your bags, so when passing through areas you're expecting to see people, you won't stand out as much. However, if you need to go odd road and be more hidden, you can pop the cover on and benefit from that.

Are these bag covers the ultimate solution? Nope. But they're the best one at the moment. You can couple the cover with a textured camo cover, but now you're adding extra weight.

Just thought this might be a good solution for any urban preppers who are in need of a 'casual' bag that might need hiding at some point.

TTFN
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
18 January 2015, 17:31, (This post was last modified: 18 January 2015, 17:44 by Midnitemo.)
RE: Camo Bag/Gear Reassessment
olive green rucksack.....tactical and normal all in one.....have a black poncho to cover the camo jacket if I want to blend in and most of the other layers are green/grey or black so just stow the jacket and that's it.

good to see you back S13

I had similar hike to my bol as a test.....a shade under 8 miles as the crow flies but travelling tactically took most of the day(8 hours).. will be even slower with company....am avoiding roads/paths where possible...I made it unacosted /think I went completely unseen but you never can be sure, most of the journey was on private land so I'd like to think if I was seen I'd have known about it.
Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool!!!!
19 January 2015, 12:09,
I need a new Rucksack, something big enough to get a quartered up Deer in Angel
19 January 2015, 13:27,
TH why not use a good size drybag....I have a 90 ltr one that has attachable shoulder straps....water proof so no contamination/no blood leakage...big enough for a decent size deer to go in without quartering , just gralloch legs and head removed and in whole...can be carried across the shoulders....when not used for this is fantastic dry storage in the field for sensitive gear/back up water carrier/storage.
Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool!!!!
19 January 2015, 14:10,
That's not a bad idea at all. Will check em out.