Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Storm Juno
27 January 2015, 05:56,
Storm Juno
What if you had a land area the size of all Great Britain, and containing a population of over 50 million people, covered with a layer of snow two feet deep, 70 MPH winds and temperatures not expected to go above freezing for 10 days. (say hello to global warming)

Right now Storm Juno is settling over the entire northeastern US.

All public transport has been shut down, no trains, no busses, no taxis, no planes until further notice. Streets are closed and no one is allowed on the roads in their vehicles either to go home or to work in an area almost the size of all GB.

Widespread power outages are predicted with large areas off the power grid due to ice and wind taking down lines.

A real life scenario, happening as we speak.

Could you ride out a week with no heat, no utilities, and only the supplies on hand?
27 January 2015, 10:09, (This post was last modified: 27 January 2015, 10:34 by bigpaul.)
RE: Storm Juno
that's why we prep, innit!!!Big GrinBig Grin

a week..is that all? we've gone 3 weeks nearly a month in the recent past.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
27 January 2015, 10:53,
warning storm force wind for north devon.

bp has been on the chickpeas again......Wink
Survive the jive (youtube )
27 January 2015, 12:33, (This post was last modified: 27 January 2015, 12:34 by bigpaul.)
don't you mean the baked beans???Tongue

Branston baked beans that is.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
27 January 2015, 13:06,
MB what do you mean what would we do? We'd do nothing. Our govt will save us Smile

I think we'd survive as a family. But only just. It'd be uncomfortable & we'd probably smell a bit due to not wanting to waste bottled gas on water to wash with. My plan is remove one of the sofas out the front room, cover the window with a thick polystyrene sheet I have & just live in 1 room. We have a battery powered carbon monoxide alarm to make sure the gas isn't going to kill us. Then it's just a case of make the best of a bad situation.

To be honest, I think our biggest problem as a family would be keeping the kids occupied.
27 January 2015, 13:32,
(27 January 2015, 13:06)Geordie_Rob Wrote: MB what do you mean what would we do? We'd do nothing. Our govt will save us Smile

I think we'd survive as a family. But only just.

what...for a week? you are joking I hope.
27 January 2015, 14:14,
Depends how long the bottled gas supplies last BP. I've got 3 bottles but using them for all heating, cooking & washing up will hammer them pretty quickly I would imagine.
27 January 2015, 14:45,
yes, if that's all you got, but 3 bottles will last more than a week surely? I don't expect to rely on gas bottles permanently, there will come a time when we cant get any more, but a week? anyone should be able to do that, we are only talking a bad storm, what if it was something more serious?
27 January 2015, 16:42,
Well that's my roll of the dice mate. You win some you lose some. If it's more serious then we're screwed.

We are planning on a woodstove within the next 12-24 months (if the council grant permission) & I'm hoping for one of those frontier stoves with a couple of months max so both of those will help long term. But if it happened right now, we'd just have to chance it. I can only get it right or get it wrong at the end of the day. Even with 3 15kg bottles of calor gas, I've got to be in a way better position than most.

For usage, we normally use the calor gas fire on 2 bars for a couple of hours a night & a bottle lasts about a month. Though this is in addition to the mains supplied heating system. Relying solely on the gas bottles for all heat + cooking for 4 people aswell, I genuinely have no idea how long it'll last.
27 January 2015, 16:50,
when I had my council flat I had one of those mobile gas heaters, if I put it on one bar a cylinder would last a month...just, and that was only for heating, nothing else.i managed to get the fire place working after a while, back boiler was a bit iffy which was the main problem, so I went onto wood heating after that and got rid of the mobile gas heater. I wanted to put in a log burner here but HA said a resounding NO WAY! but I've still got it stored ,so in a serious event sod the HA!!!