Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
trad or modern
1 February 2015, 13:14,
trad or modern
so on the video I posted the chap often talked about how the woodsmen did it in years gone by, his edc knife was a old butchers knife and he was using a tarp like the old woodsmen.

so if you wanted to do the same would your kit be trad or modern ie solar phone charger , space blanket, lighter ect.
Survive the jive (youtube )
1 February 2015, 13:51,
RE: trad or modern
If you are talking solely about kit, then for me it's largely modern, but that's solely because of availability.

For example try sourcing one of the tarps that your woodsman had in the video, the best we have available are going to be the DD Tarps.

Even with things like his butchers knives, a quick search on ebay shows that there are plenty available in the states, but not over here....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R...e&_sacat=0

So it's purely a case of what is available......
1 February 2015, 14:33,
traditional every time, but then you knew that, didn't you?Big Grin
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
1 February 2015, 14:46,
Both, why limit yourself to just one? I love traditional gear, but I do like the new fabrics etc too. I'd love a canvas tarp, but without a horse to cart everything around I have to use modern silnylon or polycotton tarps due to the weight. I like a good mix of traditional and modern when it comes to kit. You do pay a premium for the traditional gear though, but I think the longevity of the kit is worth the extra spondooliks.
1 February 2015, 15:00, (This post was last modified: 1 February 2015, 15:13 by Tartar Horde.)
A mixture for me, but certain things will always be traditional. Modern Goretex clothing and the like is over rated in my book, nothing keeps you warm like Wool, and it works when wet, same with Boots, good leather boots although heavier keep your feet toasty and dry if you treat them properly. Waxed Barbour all the way for me as outer shell, lasts for Donkey's years and never goes out of styleBig Grin Tent and shelter wise it's modern all the way, just because of the weight of oiled/Waxed canvas. Although I do secretly desire the old fashioned Bell tent with a small wood burning stove.

Just nicely got back from a few hours shooting on the East Yorkshire Wolds and it was not nice at all. Howling Wind, Snow and Sleet made for an interesting time in the Woods. At forty yards I was having to aim OFF the target, and this was inside the Wood. I had branches coming down all over the place and had to leave for my own safety. On the way out a small branch hit the top of my Car!! I've always been a believer in the statement "There's no such thing as bad weather, just inadequate clothing" but sometimes you have to listen to Mother Nature and stay at home.
1 February 2015, 16:14,
a mix of both for me....modern usually equates to lighter more compact/user friendly but for me there are a few things that I prefer old school , tarp's ,waterproofs ,axes to name just a few I like canvas tarps if I don't have to carry them so I have both , I love goretex waterproofs but I have waxed cotton and oilskins too purely down to goretex not being as hardwearing as the other two.....I'm for both under different circumstances
Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool!!!!
1 February 2015, 19:04,
It might sound strange, but as an 18th Century reenactor I engage in many long term events where the "traditional gear" is mandated and usage enforced. I generally spend about 5-10% of my life in those style camps.

Tarps/tents are canvas, cookware is cast iron or copper pots, clothing is wool, silk or linen. Fires are made flint and steel (not the modern fire strikers) or friction and foods are dried, smoked, salted or pickled.

However, my real survival gear is a mix of technologies, which only makes sense. I want the knowledge of the people that survived with nothing, or at least minimal gear, combined with the materials available to me today.

That is especially true when most of the modern gear works so well, and so much better than the equipment of the past.

Modern foot gear is one of my favorite comparisons. For only a small amount of money I can obtain footwear that will protect my feet down to -50, but only a few years back frostbite was a major concern to all woodsmen operating in severe winter conditions.

It is the same for sleeping bags. I have a 6 point Whitney blanket on my bed that is worth several hundred pounds. I have slept cold in camp using that blanket several times when temps were only "mild". My sleeping bag, rated down to -40, cost me about 50 pounds your money and has never let the cold dominate.

On the other end of the spectrum, I want all the benefits of aluminum foil and the best of water purification systems at my disposal, but I prefer to boil my water in an old fashioned tin billy over an open flame rather than a pack along stove.
1 February 2015, 20:22,
I use both modern and old tech, which ever I feel works best, I use a lot of traditional crafts both at work and at home and will use old methods purely for the joy of it, but also have no qualms about using modern kit to make life easy and get a job done.
I recon the tarp that he was using in the vid was possibly one of these:

http://www.tamarackoutdoors.co.uk/PBSCCa...Name=Tarps

Use some of these at work, they are a poly cotton there very nice, but will act just like any other canvas in a heavy downpour and become porous if touched, nice price too!!
8 March 2016, 18:37,
old was modern once

my kit and methods are are a mix of what works be it pre palaeolithic or space age.
i tend to try different styles for the same task and try to avoid have a fixed idea of "this is how to do that"

metal blades are rather nice but a well knapped flint might be what is available .
much as i often favour the modern there are times when the old tool is actually a better tool for the job for example a flint scraper is the best tool i know of for prepping hides/pelts for tanning.
conversely a kelly kettle is both a good water carrier and a super multi fuel fire pit/tinderbox/still base etc etc (if there was a titanium version rather than the al one i have it would be even better kit )

thinking of old and new i was reading one of the firearm threads and recon the black powder musket did not replace the bow it replaced the skills required to use a bow effectively.im fairly sure i could show a better rate of fire and accuracy over assorted distances and perhaps even greater "in that patch over there" distances with my longbow than anyone with a brown bess and it would probably give better terminal ballistics with the right head for the target in most circumstances.it is far lighter to carry than a musket and 60 rounds.powder,fettling kit etc ,works in the wet and wind and the ammunition is reusable if recovered.by the time it is worn out i could probably make a new one of some sort .
plus it does not make a massive boom which can be a huge advantage.

in a long term shtf situation i recon carpentry and bow skills are easier to learn than gunsmithing ,chemistry ,engineering and shooting skills but having both styles available is sensible.

i spose ancient or modern depends on what works and what is available.