Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
10,000BC - Do you still want to be part of a group??
12 February 2015, 12:28,
RE: 10,000BC - Do you still want to be part of a group??
A big problem in the UK is the "Entitlement Culture", many people ( not just the youngsters ) believe it is their right to have food, housing and entertainment. They won't get off their arse to provide it for themselves, but you can be sure they'll get up and steal it if nobody provides it for them. All our preps count for nothing if some scrote sticks a carving knife in us.
12 February 2015, 13:02,
(12 February 2015, 12:28)Steve Wrote: A big problem in the UK is the "Entitlement Culture", many people ( not just the youngsters ) believe it is their right to have food, housing and entertainment. They won't get off their arse to provide it for themselves, but you can be sure they'll get up and steal it if nobody provides it for them. All our preps count for nothing if some scrote sticks a carving knife in us.

Spot on again Steve.
12 February 2015, 14:50,
Tricky one this.

In every group every person must add something to the benefit of the group, be it manual labor, a dedicated skill or knowledge of some useful area. If you don't fall into one of these then you don't get it. Same goes if you find yourself in a group of people that wouldn't be your first choice. I won't be working my arse off for the benefit of someone else who doesn't pull their weight. no work = no food.
12 February 2015, 16:49,
(12 February 2015, 14:50)BeardyMan Wrote: Tricky one this.

In every group every person must add something to the benefit of the group, be it manual labor, a dedicated skill or knowledge of some useful area. ........... I won't be working my arse off for the benefit of someone else who doesn't pull their weight. no work = no food.

Again I agree.

However the problem as I see it, is that realistically (in the UK) everyone will be bugging in, regardless of whether it is at their principal residence or at that of another family member/friend etc, we are not going to be living in straw huts on Dartmoor or the Black Mountains.

So therefore in times of dire straits "your family (or other) group" will just be a sub-group of a larger grouping or 'community', this could be the village/street/estate etc in which you live and you will have very little option other than to interact with these groups (no matter how useless and unprepared they may be) and as MB alluded, the only way these groups will work is through the appointment of a leader and the use of force to administer the 'rules'.

So the only way in which you are ever going to get away from the no hopers and scroungers is to relocate to the middle of nowhere away from the general populous, but in the UK even that is a problem as nowhere other than maybe parts of the Highlands and parts of the Welsh mountains are remote enough to offer protection from scavengers and raiders sent out by the groups....
12 February 2015, 16:55,
(12 February 2015, 16:49)Devonian Wrote:
(12 February 2015, 14:50)BeardyMan Wrote: Tricky one this.

In every group every person must add something to the benefit of the group, be it manual labor, a dedicated skill or knowledge of some useful area. ........... I won't be working my arse off for the benefit of someone else who doesn't pull their weight. no work = no food.

Again I agree.

However the problem as I see it, is that realistically (in the UK) everyone will be bugging in, regardless of whether it is at their principal residence or at that of another family member/friend etc, we are not going to be living in straw huts on Dartmoor or the Black Mountains.

So therefore in times of dire straits "your family (or other) group" will just be a sub-group of a larger grouping or 'community', this could be the village/street/estate etc in which you live and you will have very little option other than to interact with these groups (no matter how useless and unprepared they may be) and as MB alluded, the only way these groups will work is through the appointment of a leader and the use of force to administer the 'rules'.

So the only way in which you are ever going to get away from the no hopers and scroungers is to relocate to the middle of nowhere away from the general populous, but in the UK even that is a problem as nowhere other than maybe parts of the Highlands and parts of the Welsh mountains are remote enough to offer protection from scavengers and raiders sent out by the groups....

So we're all shafted then? Big Grin
12 February 2015, 17:02,
I was wondering how long it would take till someone came out with that LOL Big Grin
12 February 2015, 17:52,
(12 February 2015, 16:55)BeardyMan Wrote: [quote='Devonian' pid='88808' dateline='1423756156']

in the UK even that is a problem as nowhere other than maybe parts of the Highlands and parts of the Welsh mountains are remote enough to offer protection from scavengers and raiders sent out by the groups....

I just love it when people start thinking like that, talk about giving up before the event has even happened. most people will have had it (been shafted as BM puts it), in a serious, national, global, life changing event the "die off" will be huge, even if you live in a big city(or maybe that's BECAUSE you live in a big city) don't expect lots of people to survive, given the lifestyle of most people most will be incapable of looking after themselves and will be totally useless even if they did survive.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
12 February 2015, 18:08,
In a made up scenario they won't starve so they can do what they like to make a point.

If it was a real life situation starving would concentrate the mind and trying to steal something and having your throat cut would soon fix the problem.

That is why I hate these scenarios that HR people create for job interviews and training purposes. Most of them are a waste of time.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
12 February 2015, 18:35, (This post was last modified: 12 February 2015, 18:36 by Midnitemo.)
The option to quit is powerful disincentive....just knowing you can chuck your hand in at anytime and be whisked away in a 4x4 and be fed isotonic drinks and sportsbars on your way to the hotel.....I guess this is why were not seeing anybody digging deep or going out on a limb.

chucking your hand in might not be such a rosy option come the day.
Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool!!!!