Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How Much Salt do you have?
17 February 2015, 21:56,
RE: How Much Salt do you have?
If I filtered seawater through a Berkeyfeld or similar how much extra salt would be required before I could "brine" meat in it ? Or alternatively, how much water would need to be evaporated from it ?
17 February 2015, 22:36,
(17 February 2015, 21:51)Geordie_Rob Wrote: I've got 2kg of bagged table salt aswell. Not really edible (I don't think) but I've got 25kg of rocksalt in a yellow plastic bin in my front garden. Saves the table salt for eating.

Hi Rob, the salt is not for eating, its for preserving meat and fish, have a read of Mary's thread:

http://forum.survivaluk.net/showthread.php?tid=7549

(17 February 2015, 21:56)Steve Wrote: If I filtered seawater through a Berkeyfeld or similar how much extra salt would be required before I could "brine" meat in it ? Or alternatively, how much water would need to be evaporated from it ?

Not sure? but I would say you risk ruining the filters by running salt water through them, as they are not designed for that application.

This is what Doulton state about their candle filters:

Virtually any Water source can be filtered :
Tap water, well, river, lake, stream and swimming pool water can be used. Not for use with salt water

Properties not removed :
Sodium, sulfur, calcium, alkaline, fluoride and excessive concentrations of heavy metals i.e. iron.

Not intended for use with salt water and or water softener or conditioners
18 February 2015, 01:07,
If you really believe in the long term disaster, non recovery scenario one living near the ocean should view the proximity as a business opportunity.

You do not even have to boil the sea water, just let evaporation do its job. In some parts of the world the evaporation ponds are covered by sheds to prevent dilution of the concentrate.

Sea water only has 3.5% salt content so 97% of the volume must be evaporated.

http://www.atlasobscura.com/places/salt-...-francisco