Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
S H T F guard dog
4 March 2015, 02:25,
RE: S H T F guard dog
My FIL was with the 1st Division US as they swept through Europe during WW2. I remember him talking about having to shoot guard dogs on the big estates when they cleared them during sweeps.

Same thing in Iraq and Afghanistan with today's troops, they had to kill guard dogs on a regular basis.

When I asked my son about this he answered shaking his head, talking about never seeing mutts as vicious as the ones lose inside the compounds over there. He said you could hear them clawing at the mud brick walls and bouncing off the gates trying to get to the soldiers on the outside. Said he lost track of how many dogs he shot during searches but did report that 12ga 00buck worked well for the job.
5 March 2015, 22:42,
The way I see it, my main priorities for a dog post-SHTF would be as an alarm in the event of intruders, and to do things like keeping rats down, protecting the chickens and maybe helping with rabbiting. So, I'd go for something small and easy to care for, such as a terrier of some kind.

My Labrador, lovable as he is, would be next to useless. However, he does have a good gruff bark!
Find a resilient place and way to live, then sit back and watch a momentous period in history unfold.
6 March 2015, 11:19,
Got to have my best buddy put down today. Got a tumour on his spine that vets can't remove. Absolutely distraught. Have to tell my little boy later somehow.
6 March 2015, 13:43,
(6 March 2015, 11:19)BeardyMan Wrote: Got to have my best buddy put down today. Got a tumour on his spine that vets can't remove. Absolutely distraught. Have to tell my little boy later somehow.

So sorry to hear that BM, it really is like losing a best friend or family member when that happens.
6 March 2015, 14:33,
Mate you have my sympathy. When my dog eventually goes, I'm going to be gutted & I know my kids will be 10 times worse than me. They're a family member rather than just a pet. I imagine taking him to the vets will be 1 of the hardest trips you'll ever have to make.
6 March 2015, 14:43,
Just got back, cancer was in his bones, bowel and spinal cord. Nowt they could do. Didn't even know he was ill until two weeks ago when he had a limp, vets thought it was a ligament. Don't think I've ever been this upset, been blubbing like a little girl.
6 March 2015, 15:02,
Sorry to hear that BM, having met Winston we can say what a nice dog he was, still you did the right thing not to let him suffer, our previous dog had a tumour on her throat poor thing couldn't eat or hardly swallow-we had only had her a few months!!
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
6 March 2015, 15:21,
Condolences mate, chin upSad
6 March 2015, 17:21,
sorry about Winston mate...I don't currently have a dog because of the grief you are feeling...I'm scared to commit to a dog again.
Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool!!!!
6 March 2015, 17:27,
come on mort....theirs a time and a place.
Survive the jive (youtube )