Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
sell by dates
5 March 2015, 12:31, (This post was last modified: 5 March 2015, 15:25 by bigpaul.)
RE: sell by dates
(5 March 2015, 10:31)Geordie_Rob Wrote: What's the egg in a pan of water test?

if it sinks its fine, if it floats its bad. its the gases in the bad egg makes it float. I don't buy commercial/supermarket eggs, I was told by someone in the trade that they can be anything up to a month or more old by the time they are collected, washed and go through the packing plant, get out on the lorry and finally delivered to the store. we buy all our eggs from a smallish producer in our local open air market.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
5 March 2015, 22:23,
The only dates that matter are "Use By" dates, placed on perishable foods. However, according to an interview I heard a few years ago with the founder of Asda, even these have a leeway of several days, to account for the risk that someone may buy the product, leave it sitting in a warm car for a few hours before taking it home and putting it in the fridge.

"Best Before" and "Sell By" dates are at best irrelevant and at worst a con, leading to massive food-waste as we throw away millions of tonnes of food that we don't need to.

Our favourite trick is to buy things on their last "Use By" date from the "reduced" counter in Tesco, take them home and put them in the freezer. 7.00 to 9.00 in the evening seems to be the optimum time!
Find a resilient place and way to live, then sit back and watch a momentous period in history unfold.
6 March 2015, 15:30,
The most ridiculous is "best before" dates on Salt!!! hahaha they must think people are really stupid.
Come on BP I'm waiting for "they are".
6 March 2015, 15:32,
(6 March 2015, 15:30)Tartar Horde Wrote: The most ridiculous is "best before" dates on Salt!!! hahaha they must think people are really stupid.
Come on BP I'm waiting for "they are".
THEY ARE!! there you go TH.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
6 March 2015, 17:11,
this stuff on tv about folk throwing away ££££ of food a year.....I never throw away a thing except when theirs some mistake in cooking or how much of one thing or another to put in.....am I the odd one out.
Survive the jive (youtube )
6 March 2015, 17:24,
Most of those numbers are made up on the spot for advertising purposes.

If you come up with a number, even a made up number, it sounds like you did some research and transfers the burden of proof to the challenger to disprove your number.

The only possible way anyone could come up with a number is to take their own wastage and multiply it by population size. That means nothing.

Throwing away food you bought before the date was out is simply poor meal planning.

Buying out of date food is a choice.

Eating out of date food in a survival situation is a decision to be made on the spot based on the condition of the food in question.
6 March 2015, 17:28,
(6 March 2015, 17:11)Sunna Wrote: this stuff on tv about folk throwing away ££££ of food a year.....I never throw away a thing except when theirs some mistake in cooking or how much of one thing or another to put in.....am I the odd one out.
like I said people are stupid, I can never understand putting a date on food and people think 1 minute before midnight and its ok, 1 minute after midnight and it'll kill you. use your nose, that what you've got it for.
6 March 2015, 17:41,
(6 March 2015, 17:11)Sunna Wrote: this stuff on tv about folk throwing away ££££ of food a year.....I never throw away a thing except when theirs some mistake in cooking or how much of one thing or another to put in.....am I the odd one out.

The values quoted are more often the waste generated by the supermarkets themselves, you only have to take a loot at the waste bins at the back of any supermarket to see how much is damaged and thrown away.
6 March 2015, 17:50,
(6 March 2015, 17:41)Devonian Wrote: The values quoted are more often the waste generated by the supermarkets themselves, you only have to take a loot at the waste bins at the back of any supermarket to see how much is damaged and thrown away.
if I could get in the supermarket bins I'd be helping myself, around my location they are all behind large locked gates.
6 March 2015, 18:28,
(6 March 2015, 17:50)bigpaul Wrote:
(6 March 2015, 17:41)Devonian Wrote: The values quoted are more often the waste generated by the supermarkets themselves, you only have to take a loot at the waste bins at the back of any supermarket to see how much is damaged and thrown away.
if I could get in the supermarket bins I'd be helping myself, around my location they are all behind large locked gates.

Yes all the big ones are locked these days.

But as kids we used play in the skips at the back of the old Safeway supermarket, it's amazing what you could pick up, not just food but household goods, batteries, all sorts.