Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pre-Filtering to save the Berkefeld ( or Diesel pump )
14 March 2015, 12:40,
Pre-Filtering to save the Berkefeld ( or Diesel pump )
Depending on where you get your water from, it might have lumps in it.

It's a good idea to filter as many out as possible before passing the water through your expensive ceramic candles, to prolong their life and keep the flow rate up ( or should I say keep it at the standard painfully slow rate as long as possible ).

To that end, as well as indulging my habit of buying anything I won't be able to make for myself, I recently bought an offcuts box of stainless steel mesh:

http://www.themeshcompany.com/products/B...tml#SID=35

It's packed with really usefull stuff, a lot of it, different mesh sizes allow a filter that strains in stages and won't get clogged so easily. The finest mesh looks and feels like finest silk.

As well as water filtering, it will work for diesel scavenged from the bottom of tanks, and a single wrap around my mobile phone cut the signal level from 3 to Zero - so it might offer some EMP protection too. It's naturally slash resistant, but cuts OK with scissors ( use a cheap pair ).

I asked for plenty of the finest grades in my box and they didn't disappoint - there's loads.
14 March 2015, 15:31,
RE: Pre-Filtering to save the Berkefeld ( or Diesel pump )
Great post very useful , lots of uses....got to have a bit of that ! ....this is more like it chaps.
31 October 2015, 10:37,
The plan progresses ! I just collected 200 litres of food-grade perlite, for my "long drop" drainpipe water pre-filter.
31 October 2015, 11:32,
Good find Steve.

Please keep us posted on your progress.

Re slow flow through ceramic candles, we've found that a six monthly scrub with a plastic pan scourer does a good job of improving flow rate.

I'm not sure if you are supposed to do this, but it works for us and so far no water bourne nasties making is sick.

J
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

31 October 2015, 19:42,
My idea is to make a long filter in a 6" plastic drainpipe. Perlite looks good to me because it can be cleaned, burned off, and re-used.
4 November 2015, 22:28,
I broke the Berkefeld out today, a burst watermain up in the hills has screwed our water supply pressure, who knows what crap will end up in the pipe, so the handy water filter is out of the cupboard and filled up.

They say it'll be repaired quickly, who knows.

Welsh Water:

"The repair has been hampered by significant engineering difficulties, but we are working hard to resolve this and restore supplies as safely and as quickly as possible. We have already contacted the customers affected. We are really sorry for the inconvenience. We are distributing bottled water in certain locations and expect water supplies to be restored from tomorrow morning."
11 July 2016, 15:55,
These will clear out the detritus from your water before you fully filter it

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sock-filter-ba...1M0LaKV0NQ
ATB
Harry