Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Versatile.
15 March 2015, 15:41, (This post was last modified: 15 March 2015, 15:44 by Steve.)
RE: Versatile.
Not as loud as you'd think....

A fully moderated .410 is no louder than an air rifle. 12g is a fair bit louder.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gK8TZchAIgc
15 March 2015, 16:21,
But after an event would such a noise draw you in, or act as a deterrent for to keep away for armed persons/groups.....?

Also, you may hear the shots being fired, but trying to pinpoint exactly where a shot gun has been fired from, is not actually that easy, unless you pretty close by. You are often more likely to be simply spotted walking across open ground in the far distance, then being pinpointed from where shots are being fired.
15 March 2015, 16:22, (This post was last modified: 15 March 2015, 16:49 by Midnitemo.)
most people don't use the subsonic cartridges because they are 20% more expensive and have a reduced effective range so more than likely any you see fired on youtube are full power supersonic loads but even with these the gun report is greatly reduced...as steve say's the .410 with the correct cartridges is almost whisper quiet.

I'm a bit perturbed by them using a large puddle to pattern the gun's but its a good demonstration of how quiet a shotgun to behttps://youtu.be/c_6D00WRPh8
Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool!!!!
15 March 2015, 17:39,
Actually after watching another youtube video of somebody demonstrating a hushpower .410 with and without subsonic cartridges I fully understand why they chose a large puddle to pattern in....it makes no or at least very little noise on impact unlike a steel pattern plate and the noise isn't bounced back at you like it is from the plate...still goes against the grain as we are taught not to shoot into water at a shallow angle for fear of richochet.
15 March 2015, 18:17,
Mo is correct that subsonic ammo has a shorter effective range - but only if you keep the same shot size. Loading your own cartridges allows you to use a larger shot size, No4 is popular, and subsonic ammo can throw very even patterns. Subsonic No4 actually holds more energy than most supersonic No6 at 40yds.

Horses for courses, I like my silenced 12g on my own patch because it's inaudible to my neighbours - it just seems polite - but if pigeon shooting in a remote field then it's full-house loads in a double barrel or semi-auto.
15 March 2015, 18:49,
If you live in a treeless flat area, a shotgun going off will tell you where a person is and pinpoint them. Try doing it in an area or undulating ground with woods and the alike. Yes you'll know someone is within 1-2 miles in X direction. If you're on that kind of land and you have a shotgun, you'll be gone before anyone within 400 meters is close enough to see you. I'm really not panicking about it.

TH, great post. The only issue with sg is the weight of gun and weight of ammo. You'll be able to carry 200 .22lr more easily that a box of 50 12g's. But I guess it depends on what your plans are and what you'll be using it for.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
15 March 2015, 18:54,
for hunting i'll stick with my air rifles and bows.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
15 March 2015, 18:57,
What really interested me were the slowed down videos of the various projectiles and how they behaved, fascinating stuff. He shoots a Frozen sausage in one of them it's amazing.
16 March 2015, 17:34,
S13 .410 ammo is quite a bit smaller and lighter than 12g probably nearly half the size in cube and 2/3 weight .....22lr requires an FAC which is a lot more complicated and difficult to obtain and keep than an SGC..... .410 is not very butch or macho and is certainly in another league to 12g in terms of power/range and flexibility but it's still a competent game gun within its limitations and there are quite a variety of loads out there for various requirements , 2 inch game loads are tiny but they will still get you a rabbit/squirrel/pigeon etc provided you do your bit well enough....and I would certainly shy away from being shot by one.
16 March 2015, 19:09,
I can back up what mo says about FAC being harder to obtain.

For my application, the civilian officers came out, were utter bastards, treat me like a massive criminal despite never having been charged with an offence ever (basically implying I can't be trusted with a gun & I had no chance, all because I've reported bent coppers previously. She said "it appears I'm anti police") & blatantly lied about what I could apply for & told me my shooting club had given me incorrect information. After checking home office guidelines the advice from the club was spot on & the copper staff lied to my face.

Last I heard, they had requested a medical report, my GP replied saying "yes it'll be £xx" and the police never came up with the money for the report.

Plus I don't rate their efficiency for a paid for service. I applied 17th November, application received the next morning. Home visit early January & now it's nearly Easter & not heard 1 way or another.

You're right about the weight of 22lr though. You can carry a box of 50 & not even know you have it.